How can I tell my son pre-k teacher to back off without causing my child any grief?

Every day it seems like she has something to say about my son. I told my husband if she has one more thing to say I'm going to ask her if he is the only one or she just do not know how to deal with children. My husband told me to let him take care of the matter before I get my baby thrown out of school. What would you guys do?

dubewife

Asked by dubewife at 8:05 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son has recently been experiencing some issues with his teacher. His entire class is actually. Long story but at the end of the day several parents had the head of school place their children in another room and several more parents are making the request next week as well. I have decided to approach this from a different angle. I am giving his teacher the benefit of the doubt. I called her and explained my concerns about the recent changes, my expectations on his academic progress, and my hopes from this day forward. I am never a fan of chewing out a teacher. I prefer to work with her rather than to intimidate her. Thankfully his teacher uses e-mail so getting regular updates is helpful and appreciated. She also is aware of my level of involvement and commitment to his success. While we are not on the same page, I have faith we will be. GL.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:30 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• what sort of things is she saying?
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:06 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• What type of things does she say about him? Is it his behavior, his learning?
    jazzesmom

Answer by jazzesmom at 8:16 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Have you told the teachers about the evaluation results? He may be bored in pre school, which could be cause for the behavior.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:26 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I was a preschool teacher for 10 years before being promoted to the Director position. I was a Director for both Kindercare and Children's World Learning Centers, so big, corporate centers, not mom and pop schools.

Now I know that, in different states, the education requirements for teachers vary, but in CA., a preschool teacher was required to have a minimum of 12 college units in Early Childhood Education. These teachers are trained in what to look for and might see something in your son that you don't.

When I was teaching a class of Pre-K's, I had a student who was so clearly detached from reality that I was amazed nobody had suggested an IEP/Eval. before me. The parents resisted at first, but then agreed and even asked me to attend. Diagnosis? Autism. From there, they were able to recognize the same symptoms and behaviors in his younger brother.

Don't be so quick to dismiss what the teacher is telling you.
    5150mama

Answer by 5150mama at 11:58 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• ~*HUGS*~... I opened this one up hoping to gain insight... my 5 year old is a very fast learner, and we this past summer were past what he's still currently learning in kindergarten... his teacher started in on me about having his tested??? He fiddles with his pencil because he's bored... well no Shhh!!! Really? He knows it already!!!

It wasn't until I made it perfectly clear that I wasn't going to have my kids tested, or medicated to make her job easier that she stopped pushing her bull my way... she now targetted 3 other little boys... oddly all are like us (not rich)... they get federal funding if your child is "special", and they can care less if the medications cause permanant damage to those who don't need it?!?!

DO NOT LABEL YOUR KID... ~*Prayers*~
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:28 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• OMG... my eldest is 15, and in Kindergarten he had a 220 IQ and the vocabulary of a college student... they wanted to medicate him

Now my 5 year old is really smart, gets bored easily, and ten years later I find them stating to medicate him??? I was stupid with my eldest, and I have to live daily with the regret of my choices, but I'll be damned if they do it to my middle son!!! This time I am fighting back

Teacher stated as if she actually knew that he doesn't behave anywhere, his doctor loves him, his dentist thinks he's better behaved than kids twice his age, and stranger love him... I will never allow another teacher to drug my kid!!! And I push others to fight back and not do like what was done to my eldest?!?! Not every kid is special needs, some are just normal little kids!!! And we spoil our kids, they have their own opinions, and
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:33 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• most doctors will not put a 3 year old on meds.

However alot of teachers are trying to see if there are kids that need special help that the parents arent seeing. I just had to go to a panel of teachers for my sons preschool on how to speak with parents that may have a autistic child. I have a 4 year old that is, and besides his lack of speech you wouldn't know it. He is very handsom. He is super smart but his speech is greatly delayed. However this is where my son's autism comes into play. They have seen a increase in boys so I think the teacher maybe just assuming more cause she might seen things that she has seen in others.

But if you have been to a specialist and they have cleared him then I would go over her head and find out whats really going on.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 8:36 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My son is 5 and was diagnosed with SID (sensory integration disorder). Because he is not improving in certain areas that other SID children improve in we are looking at an autistic diagnosis within the year. He is really smart in some things, and not so smart in others. What did the IEP say? I will say it may just be the school districts that are different, but I have rarely seen a teacher try to medicate a child. They may suggest that they get tested for ADD or ADHD, but that is not saying to put your child on medication, unless you have experience with disorders and diseases like this, that is your first thought "they are trying to medicate". MOST doctors will not medicate a child unless it is the last resort. IMHO as a parent we have to do what is best for our children, even if we don't like the idea of it. Good Luck to you.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 9:11 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Well had you planned on cursing her out or something?  I don't see how speaking with her would cause your son to get kicked out of school.  You have a concern, you are allowed to voice that.  And maybe it would even be best if you changed schools.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:07 PM on Feb. 19, 2011