16 month old and her ears!

My DD recently started putting things in her ears from her food to pulling thread off her socks and trying to put it in her ears. She's never got anything IN her ears, I catch her before she gets far. I've tried telling her "no ear" and taking it away from her and i've tried distraction. Neither seem to be working. Is this normal? What should I do about it?

Marix3

Asked by Marix3 at 8:09 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As long as she doesn't have an ear infection or anything yes I'd say it's normal.  I'd get her ears checked just to be on the safe side though babes.  With my kids it's sticking stuff up their noses.  :)

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:27 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I agree its normal, just keep doing what your doing and keep a close eye on her. If she starts to pull on her ears, cry they hurt, or you notice an odd smell, chances are she got something in there without you noticing. You can't always see it with your naked eye, and I bet your pediatrician has TONS of stories of things he's pulled out of children's ears and noses. If you notice her breath starts to smell bad this too can be a warning something is stuck in her ear. Ear, nose, throat and mouth are all intertwined.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:32 PM on Feb. 19, 2011