Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Bumps

I have to ask this and get your opinion!

If you dad was really sick and you mom wanted your opinion on what to do and the options were
(a) for him to have surgery and only a 10% chance of him living from it
(B) or let him and him die from not being able to breath

what would your answer be or would you let your mom no you don't want to make a decision about this because it is to hard of a decision to make?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Health

Answers (12)
  • Hugs babe.  I'm sorry that you guys even have to deal with that.  To be honest, my call would be the surgery.  At least with that there is a 10 percent chance. 


    Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:12 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

  • you have to do the surgery, so that you know you tried. I went through this with my mother. It was basically the same situation, and we are glad that we tried everything we could. Im sorry hun

    Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:12 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

  • B
    If he's that bad,he could die during surgery. At least you could be there as he passed.

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:16 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

  • I'm pretty sure I would recommend the surgery. I don't think any of us can say for sure what we would do unless we were faced with the same set of circumstances.

    Answer by NannyB. at 8:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

  • If you would die right away then the surgeon. Because 10% chance is better then then no chance. But honestly I would need more info. Cause if it was my and he was on a ventilator, then he would want to have the plug pulled regardless.

    Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

  • I would say do everything you can just so you can say that you tried to help him as much as you could. I am sorry you are going thru this and my prayers are with you and your family.

    Answer by parajumper3 at 8:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

  • I too vote B, that's an extremely small survival rate and with today's technology it means he's really really not doing well. At least with B I would get to say my goodbyes and be by his side when he passed, as oppose to in a waiting room.

    Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:19 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

  • that is a tough one. but i think it would be worse to die from not being able to breathe. but it depends if oxygen and nuebulizer treatments would help with the breathing. Its so hard to say, i guess i would make sure of all the options and even get a second opinion on the matter.
    Sorry you have to deal with this. hugs.

    Answer by jenn4443 at 8:20 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

  • Surgery, because then I would know that if he didn't pull through, we did everything we could and didn't give up on him. We went through something similar with my dad (he had cancer), and he pulled through all the surgeries wonderfully (he ended up dying because of neglect at the hospital, though, and my brothers are suing now that they have all the info, they just need a good lawyer).

    If this is something that you don't want to be a part of, though, that's understandable. It's such a hard decision to make because the odds aren't that great. ((Hugs)) I hope things work out.

    Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:24 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

  • did he ever talk to your mom about a sitauatione like that? Would he after the surgery live normally, as in breath by himself and be able to go home?
    I guess hes not unconscious since she has to make the decisions.
    Sorry to hear that, hope eveything goes well

    Answer by LittleBirdFly at 8:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.