how do you get your baby to drink milk from a sippy cup

Anabel F.

Asked by Anabel F. at 8:16 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well first off how old is the baby? The younger they are plays a huge role on how you go about a cup. Typically you offer the milk in a cup and observe. If they won't even try, get a different cup. If they're trying and not succeeding, get a cup with bigger holes so they don't have to suck as hard, because sucking from a bottle and cup require different movements and it takes awhile to catch on. If they're a little older and just not getting the sippy mouth piece, but can suck just fine, try a straw lid one.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• She's almost 14 months. All she drinks/drank was milk from a bottle and water from a sippy cup, no problem. W/ my other 2 children this was not an issue. I just switched from bottle to sippy cup and w/i a day or so, they were fine. Not this beauty 8-), she's strong willed. I've tried an open cup, soft nipple, one w/ a straw all different kinds and she just won't drink milk from a cup!! I feel like I'm being mean, it's been 5 days and she's only had a couple of sips.
    Anabel F.

Comment by Anabel F. (original poster) at 8:46 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• 14mths is late to be transitioning to a cup. She should have been on a cup for all meal times at like 8mths and bottles only at bedtime. Get rid of all the bottles. You are letting her call the shots and make the rules...that is setting yourself up for major problems. Offer the cup. She will drink when she is thirsty. Once she knows that the bottles are gone and the cup is her only option she will get with the program.

Make sure she sees you pouring the milk or juice into the cup so she knows that it isn't water. You can also try removing the stopper, and giving her a sip or 2 so that she knows what she is missing. Then put the stopper back in and let her have the cup.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:24 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• God I hope so! I guess since I didn't struggle w/ my other children, I thought this would be the same, but no two kids are the same. Thanks, I'm going to stick w/ it and try taking the valve out and see if that helps. So do I not even offer her water and just do milk?
    Anabel F.

Comment by Anabel F. (original poster) at 9:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• hmmm. Well I too agree all bottles need to be thrown out, or stored if you're planning to save for the next. Either way involve her in this momentous occasion. Throw a "big girl" party. Maybe a dollar store balloon and noise maker, some kind of special treat (even something little like mini m&m's or a cookie if this isn't an everyday thing in your house) and let her know at her big girl party all the bottles are leaving, because big girls drink from a cup. Involve the siblings, make a big deal about it. 20 minutes tops is all it takes. If you're willing, let her drink from a cup without a lid. She'll need lots of help at first, but sippy's are just for parent convenience, there's nothing that says they have to drink from a cup with a lid, so maybe she just needs to be offered a plastic cup, and told to keep it in the kitchen, or at the table, where if it spills no biggie. Make this into a "big girl" privilege, not a demand.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:37 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Put water in the sippy cup (unless she is a baby cow)

Answer by rkoloms at 9:50 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• My sons first birthday we ditched all the bottles, and he was fine with the sippy. He started using a straw around 8 months, and without the option of a bottle, he simply took the sippy cup when he was thirsty. If she drinks water out of it, it's probably just a preference thing. Put milk in her cup, and when she is thirsty, it will overpower her strong will :)
    Stephie999

Answer by Stephie999 at 5:34 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Strong will is starting to be an understatement! Thanks, I'll let you all know how things work out.....
    Anabel F.

Comment by Anabel F. (original poster) at 9:38 PM on Feb. 20, 2011