What do you think are the drawbacks of socialism?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 8:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it is an awesome idea - on paper, in a world where human nature is to share everything. Unfortunately, that does not exist. It is our nature to do best for ourselves and our loved ones. Sometimes to the detriment of others.

Even in small socialist societies like the kibbutz in Israel or the communes of the 1960's, it doesn't work as well as it should. Very much like Orwell's Animal Farm - all pigs are equal, some pigs are more equal than others.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:29 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• It is the easiest way to control people by taking away incentive to succeed because there is no real reward for doing something exceptional unless it is granted by the ruling elite. The Founding Fathers studied the past and adapted our unique form of representative government with its 28 perfect principles that has allowed our citizens to enjoy a 5000 year leap in prosperity, creativity and innovation in just over 200 years. There has been no other form of government, including democracy, that comes close to the republic form that we enjoy. Dictatorships, kingdoms and democracies always result in anarchy when people disagree. Our form of government has foreseen this problem and the human condition and has built in safeguards to reconcile disagreements and prevent tyranny by one group over another. The right to live free is the result. Socialism is the enemy of individual freedom.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 10:51 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I'd say the biggest one is that it promotes laziness and punishes hard workers. Everyone gets the same amount of goods, money, etc no matter who does the actual work. Redistribution of wealth. Where is the incentive to work hard if you can be lazy and earn/have the same amount as the hard workers?

"From each according to his ability to each according to his needs." - Karl Marx

What's the UPSIDE to Socialism?
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 9:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I was not raised that way and I do not want to start doing it now. I have been to East Berlin . I was in the Military. This was while the wall was still up.. In West Berlin there were cars and trucks, stores every where, children going to school. On the other side of the Wall. I may have seen 5 cars, no shops , children being marched to school, and the children being marched were about 7.

To go to East Berlin, My husband, 13 year old daughter, and myself had to have special papers, and travel at night by train with drawn shades to get there. I went through Check point Charlie, and there were guards with big machine guns. They would have used them in a minute, if anything looked suspicious. I Love My Country. I want no part of socialism. We may not have all the answers but we are free, and I want to stay that way.
    PA-PAGrandma

Answer by PA-PAGrandma at 10:05 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• All of it - it's designed for a society that doesn't even exist
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:19 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• LOL...Do you mean to tell me there's a POSITIVE side to socialism (speaking long term!)?!?!?! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:32 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• This is one reason why socialism does not work

When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for. When the rich run out of money, then what you going to do.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:09 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Pretty much everything.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:44 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Frogdawg, that little ignorant rant is so off base, it is sad.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• We have been able to watch the rise and fall of several socialist experiments. We should, as intelligent people, be able to learn from the mistakes of others. Socialism is never about the people. It is about those in power, keeping that power, and eliminating anyone who interferes with that power even at the expense of the citizens of the country. It is about absolute control of the citizenry by means of intimidation, torture (if needed), withholding of food, medical care (that is why Obamacare is so critical to the plan...it isn't about giving care; it is about controlling care), and death if needed to keep the elitist in power. PBO and the progressives are socialist and elitist. Their words and their acts prove this 10 fold.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:46 AM on Feb. 20, 2011