Does the party sound like too much?

My son is turning 3 next month, and I'm pretty sure his dad is taking it as a chance to "win" yet another "competition" with me. He's throwing him a really insane birthday party. He's either renting out a pool or they're just going, and he's invited like 30 people - including my family. I don't know half the guests - which is fine, I'm just assuming that if my son has even met most of them, it was only once or twice). It just sounds like way too much. My son is not hard to please. I understand if he doesn't want to have a bunch of people in his house, but there's an easy solution to that - don't invite 30 people who don't even know your son!
Do you think it sounds like too much?

I'm just going to have people over for the party I'm throwing - mostly family (since they don't want to go to the other party) and a couple of friends who Aden has met several times. I will bake a cake and have some snacks, and it'll just be casual. I think Aden will enjoy it just as much.

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 8:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Relationships

• I think it's easy to get carried away with parties when the kids are young. It's good that you are having a real party instead of a trip to the pool. I'm sure your little guy will be very happy with spending a fun afternoon with people he knows. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:55 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Personally, I think at any age under 5, the party is for the parent or parents. The kid isn't going to care one way or another. If dad wants to do that, just let him. You do your thing. If he only gets his son on weekends or whatever maybe he wants and needs to throw a bigger party for him. Try to be sympathetic, after all, you are probably with your boy more than dad is. I too am seperated from my kids dad, and couldn't imagine not seeing my kids on a daily basis. Try to think of it that way.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:44 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• oh, and just be glad he is involved. so many dad's couldn't care about throwin a birthday party.
    2BlondeBabies

• Oh! No, he sees him every day. I see my son once a week for a few hours, tops. It's a long story. That's why I'm just doing the small party - so that I can spend time with him without hosting a party getting in the way. Really I'm just frustrated that everything has to be a competition with him. Christmas was the same.
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Some people are just over-the-top party throwers, whether the reason is to impress or compete, or just because they love a big party, this may just be how your ex is going to be. Or maybe he will see there really isn't a competition and tone it down. Regardless, you should just do what's right for you and your small party sounds perfectly nice, and more relaxed so that you can focus on enjoying the time with your son rather than entertaining a ton of people and kids. At the end of the day, the most important thing to give your child is love, not a big party or a ton of presents, they just need that love and attention and to be special. As long as you do something to mark his special day as the birthday boy, don't let what his dad is doing get to you. If he wants to show-boat that's his problem, and if you don't compete in return then he just ends up looking kind of silly.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:01 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I wouldn't do a second one but that's just me.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:29 PM on Feb. 19, 2011