volunteering

Im trying to find good family volunteer work for the holidays. Something my son and I could do together, wether it be picking up trash off the streets, decorating a women and child shelter, or anything that a three year old would find fun but also helpful to others.
Advice?

mylovelyfamily

Asked by mylovelyfamily at 8:05 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• My girls and I have made homemade greeting cards and take them to Vetern's Hospital, and some Senior Centers in our area. I saw this website in one of my church newsletters http://www.holiday-project.org/
    If you live near/on a military base, most have a cookie drive that you make a few dozen cookies and take to them and they given them out to the troop in barracks/dorms.
    If you have a Children's Hospital nearby. See if there is a family from another state/far away at the hospital for a sick child that you can "adopt" and make them a home cooked meal, have your child bring them a teddy bear, etc.
    Also, this site http://www.volunteermatch.org/ GOOD LUCK. And Bless you!! It's wonderful you want to get your child involved in what truly is important this time of year.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:21 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I used to be a social worker and trust me there's alot you can do.

The best thing I can recommend is Meals on Wheels. There's got to be one in your area. The seniors will love to see a little three year old boy deliver a meal.

Also volunteering at a low income nursing home would be nice.
    Anonymous

• call one of your local womens/children's shelters, ask if there is anything holiday-related your family could help out with. i'm sure there will be parties/dinners/present-wrapping,giving done that they would gladly accept volunteers for.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Also I know that social agencies would like to have volunteers at any time of the year, not just Christmas!
    Anonymous

• Serve dinner at the mission or salvation army
    Star419

Answer by Star419 at 8:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I take my children to a homeless shelter (mostly homeless veterans) and we serve lunch
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 9:07 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I take my son to see elders in assisted living. Makes their day! He gets lots of stories from them, tips and tricks, etc...it is a great bonus!
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 9:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• With your son, go through his toys and find the ones that he doesn't play with all that much and take the toys to a homeless shelter. This will teach him to give and to share. And it will make room for christmas toys. Also, you could go through his clothes and donate those that don't fit anymore.
    The elderly home suggestion is good too. Many of the elderly living in homes don't get many visitors. It lights up their day.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 9:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• With your son, go through his toys and find the ones that he doesn't play with all that much and take the toys to a homeless shelter. This will teach him to give and to share. And it will make room for christmas toys. Also, you could go through his clothes and donate those that don't fit anymore

We did this, however we took them to Once Upon A Child, sold them, then my kids gave the money to the Salvation Army. They felt good. Their playroom was cleaner and all was good!
    Anonymous

• bake and decorate cookies and visit the old folks home. They will love the sweets adn your sweet little one. Itll be like getting 50 grandparents for a day while teaching your little one to have respect and appreciating for the elderly You could also sign up to purchase gifts fro a less fortunate family if that is up your alley. Explaining to your child other childrens mommies and daddies cant buy toys for their kids will make him appreciative that his mommy and daddy can and helping you pick out a gift fro a less fortunate child will help him to be compassionate. I have an 8 year cousin who saves up all her allowance and cash gifts and when a benefit comes along or the salvation army bell ringers she gives all her money to them. It is so sweet to see such a young girl so empathetic to others
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2008