Baby has RSV :(

I just found out yesterday, my son has RSV :( Anyone else been through this? Any advise would be great! Thanks

TsMommy428

Asked by TsMommy428 at 9:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes i went through this when dd was just over a year. get some saline and drop it in his nose and get a really good suction bulb like the ones they have at the hospital and you will have to hold him down but suction it out really good. the hardest part is keeping their nose clear. alternate tylenol and ibprophen for fever and put a humidifier where he is sleeping. and keep a close eye on him. if his hands or feet or both turn blue get him into the er.
    my dd was sick and i thought it was just a flu or cold and i just couldnt get her fever down then when i got her up from a nap her hands and feet were blue. needless to say we went to the er and they admitted her.
    oh and lots and lots of fluids. it doesnt matter what kind just as long as its fluids. if he drinks a bottle keep it full and next to him, if a sippy do the same. the more fluids the easier it is for his nose to drain.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:24 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• hugsPoor baby!

Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 9:20 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• My grandson had it. We had to stay in the hospital a week with him. It's very contagious so keep other small children away from him. Just do what the doctor says. My grandson got over it and is doing fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:20 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Unfortunately, it is very common. It can also be very dangerous. My sisters youngest had it at 10 months and was hospitalized for almost a week. Just follow the Dr's order to the letter.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:20 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Both of my babies had it. Both at the same time last year, and I was all alone with them. Breathing treatments too. If you can hold them upright and rock them to sleep, till they are sound asleep, then lay them down, I found that helped some. But yeah, you have to ride it out.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:23 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Sending you lots of hugs. Stay strong. I know this is hard, if we could take the pain in not feeling well we would. I hope he gets better real quick.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 9:55 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• My little girl is 10 months and just got over a mild case of RSV. She was wheezing when she was breathing so thats what caught my eye when we took her in. Her lungs were clear, no fever and she was still nursing and eating solids as normal so she didnt need to be hospitalized. But her doctor did discuss the possibility of having to be hospitalized in worst case scenario. Best of luck and definatly use the little noseys and suction bulb to help her breath better. GL and sorry to hear that shes so sick.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 4:36 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• my daughter had it at 2 months. our poor baby! her spit up was so thick, she was choking on it. but with a couple of treatments, everything was okay. =]
    BrookeKRod

Answer by BrookeKRod at 8:25 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Thank you ladies :( Im having a very hard time with this. He is only 9 1/2 months old and the Dr. basically told me he has to tough it out. I hate not being able to help him! It makes me feel so helpless :(
    TsMommy428

Comment by TsMommy428 (original poster) at 9:21 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Thank you! That is extremely helpful! So far he has been doing well at home! Almost everyone I have talked to has said their child had to be admitted for fluids. I really really hope this is not the case for us as well!
    TsMommy428

Comment by TsMommy428 (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Feb. 19, 2011