How do i stop my child from hurting himself?

when my son gets upset he hits. he hits me, his sister, and lately he has started banging his head on surfaces. its starting to worry me because hes getting bruises im afraid hes going to get a concussion. why is he doing this and how can i stop it???????

Onesontheway

Asked by Onesontheway at 9:24 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Attention, when he does this are you giving him attention? try walking away when he acts this way, i know it will be hard because you don't want him hurting himself but some kids do it just because they know they will get attention from it. Good luck!
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:27 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I banged my head as a toddler on things on purpose to piss off my mom. I don't remember it, but she took video footage to show my pediatrician at the time. I purposely would walk to the corner of something, a table, wall, the steps, any nearby corner, and repeatedly bang my head 1-2 times, then look at my mom for attention. My Dr told her to just let me, because although I bruised myself I was never going to hit hard enough to cause any real damage. It broke my mom's heart, but when she walked away from me banging my head instead of rushing over, the behavior stopped. And the doc was right I never did anything more then bruise myself and probably gave myself a headache. My son use to bite himself till he bled and then want attention. I would always say well if you didn't bite it wouldn't hurt, offer a band-aid and then move on. When he saw the lack of compassion, he stopped.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:44 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• My son and nephew both banged thier heads on things when they were throwing a fit. they finally stoped doing it when it got them in trouble and hurt their head enough. my nephew actually stoped because he hit his head on the concreat garage floor.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• This is very normal. when my DD gets aggressive or starts throwing a tantrum, I say, "You're not being very fun right now. Would you like to change your behaviour or would you like to rest until you can?" Sometimes she stops, and sometimes she does not. When she doesn't, I pick her up and calmly carry her to her room and let her know she is free to join me when she is calm again.

I would just ignore it.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 1:05 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My son stopped his temper tantrums when I started ignoring them. Plus make sure he is getting enough one on one time with you and your SO and praise when he does things right.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:27 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My son did this for about 6 months, when he would get overly tired or upset, he would bang his head on the wall, table, or floor, or hit himself in the head. My doctor told me it was for attention, and not to give in or try to get him to stop, just act nonchalant and he will stop eventually. He never did it more than a few times, and would usually come and get me for a hug or to be rocked to sleep, and he was fine after. My mother in law would make a HUGE deal when he would do that, and it made it so much worse, I had to tell her she couldn't come over if she couldn't respect our wishes and just let it be, and he doesn't do it at all anymore. It was just a phase for us, and I've had a few friends with 12-18 month olds who have expressed their children doing the same thing.
    Stephie999

Answer by Stephie999 at 5:24 PM on Feb. 20, 2011