How do you grandparents out there keep your grandchildren from 'forgetting' you?

If your grandchildren live in another state, and they are still small (age 3), how do you keep them from 'forgetting' you. My grandson is afraid of me when he sees me once every 6 months. What can I do to help with this anxiety - his and mine!

suijuris

Asked by suijuris at 9:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My only Grndson lives 800 miles away....I buy him those books that you can record yourself reading the story (his mom uses them for his bedtime...I also recently got Skye (per my dd request) and thats how we have our Sunday morning conversations. We also make sure to include him in our family vacations (also have two little ones myself)
    sam223

Answer by sam223 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• My parents live in another state, and it helps that we let the kids talk to them on the phone, include them in our prayers at night, have pictures of them around, and I talk to my kids about my parents. :)
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 9:43 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• do you email? maybe if you emailed pictures or had a site to post videos of you for your grandson to look at. That might help.
    could your son or daughter show them to your grandson?
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:45 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• When my kids were little and my inlaws lived in another state we had a photo album of pics of them that we went through every night before we said prayers. The recordable books are great - wish they'd been around then!

Answer by missanc at 9:48 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• My grandmother (my sons great grandmother) lives in another state and i will say, skye has really helped! I miss her so much and i benefit from it as much as my son does! Its free, easy to use as long as you have a computer that has a webcam! You can go buy them to obivously at any Best Buy, Walmart,....We also send pictures of each other through snail mail..and if you know your way around the internet, I like Facebook too, you guys can upload pictures and stuff, plus the books that record your voice are a very good idea...or a stuffed animal that you can record your voice, you can find these real easy in Hallmark Stores and im sure Toys R Us or Babies R Us have them too...i havent seen them in walmart or anything like that though.
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 9:52 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• There is lots to do!
    Kids love getting mail. so send him silly mail -- Get his favorite Character coloring book & color a page for him & send a blank one for him to color as well. (my niece sent my 3yo this & she loved it!).. Send him cool cards (my dd get a card every holiday from her great-grandmother).
    Send him pictures of you. Talk to him on the phone. Webcams are GREAT. Those recordable books are great..

Ask your daughter/son to help out & get their advice they know their child the best. He may be very shy to anyone he doesnt see alot.. Just do what you can. He is still very young. One day soon enough (4-5) he will have that long term memory & will be the one who cant wait to get his arms around you! :) Or want to call you & tell you everything he has done that day! :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:56 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Send him cards and pix. My grandkids all have email accounts and most have Facebook accounts (yes even the little ones). So I send them messages and e-cards and pix. I also call.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:02 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Webcam!

Answer by rkoloms at 10:03 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• we live in texas and my parents live in california. we dont have the benefit of having a computer right now, but my ds (3) talks to my mom on the phone at least once a week, sometimes more than that. he also gets cards and "care packages" filled with goodies for holidays and birthdays. we have only been to visit 2 times but he loves it. It bittersweet when he sees a car similar to the ones that my parents drive because he will point and say "grandma car!!!" and we havent been able to go visit in over a year due to money issues.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• We use the webcam every other week or so. After we chat I read a few books to them. I send little cards to them and little "nothing" gifts in the mail. I send amaryllis bulbs every year as "my thing" and they love it. My son takes pictures of how the bulbs are doing. I plant one at the same time and we compare how they are doing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Feb. 20, 2011