At what age can a child say they don't want to go to their parents house for visitation?

I live in Kansas and I was wondering if anyone knows at what age can a child say they don't want to go to their parents house for visitation? For example, if the weekend is coming up and your son says, "I don't want to go to dads this weekend"..do I force the child because it is court ordered parenting time? Or is it their choice once they hit a certain age? If so, what age? I don't want to get in trouble for not making him go.

hoping73

Asked by hoping73 at 9:56 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Relationships

• The Court papers should have said until a certain age. You probably have to go back to court unless dad is ok with him not coming over.
    Anonymous

• Not sure about your state, but in Pennsylvania they have to be 14 to make that decision. If you have a domestic relations order, you can call their office, they will be able to help you. or, call your attorney, he will know.
    suijuris

Answer by suijuris at 10:00 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• The court papers don't specify a certain age.
    hoping73

Comment by hoping73 (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• If the order is in place, then no matter how old he is they can find you in contempt for not making him go. If you go back in to court, the Judge would want to talk to your son and may change how the order is written so your child has more choice in where he goes when - but the order doesn't change just because your son hits a certain age (unless it's written that way).

Answer by missanc at 10:16 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• In tn its 12
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Can only vote up once, so +1 to missanc answer.

Children only get to make the choice when they are 18 years old. Before that time they may be able to go before the judge and express a preference, but even that is no guarantee.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 10:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• You may want to call your atty and ask I believe in MN its 12.
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 11:23 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• i wouldnt see making a big deal out of it id dad is okay with him not doing, if he does then make a call.
    Evilfelly07

Answer by Evilfelly07 at 11:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I'd call your lawyer or the courthouse, just to be sure. Your state might have an age but you might also have to see a judge to prove that your son didn't/doesn't want to go and it's just not you saying that. (people lie like that to hurt the other person).
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• my state...........tender age of 12. Ithink is to young if any parent was to ask a chld to go on the stand at that age is wrong. This age they still can be bribed, bought, conned, and to be made to feel guilty of the NCP which could waiver a decision the child is not ready for.
    2aremine

Answer by 2aremine at 11:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2011