How many hours a day is normal for a newborn to sleep??

I know it's normal for them to sleep A LOT... but seriously... I think my 10 day old is only awake MAYBE an hour - hour & 1/2 out of each day. She wakes to eat and vigorously starts nursing then is asleep again - I'm talking unable to tickle or wiggle awake - within 3-5 minutes. Most of our nursing sessions I don't even get to offer the other breast. Is this normal? I know she's growing - she lost 5 oz when we left the hospital and by the time we went to her 1st doc appt THE NEXT DAY she had gained back 4 oz already!

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 10:19 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sometimes my daughter would only make it to the one breast. You can take off her sock or they say to undress them I did not do that. Just move her around a little bit.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 10:24 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• My LO slept almost 18 hours a day until she was about 15 mos old. They sleep a lot. If you are really concerned then you need to speak with her doc. Congratulations on the baby.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:26 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Its pretty normal the first month or so. My youngest one never woke up i had to wake her up to feed her then she would go back to sleep. Enjoy it while you can and get some rest.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:30 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• It is normal to sleep this much. Alternate which breast you start on. Congrats!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:15 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• 12 or more
    rave88

Answer by rave88 at 4:49 PM on Feb. 20, 2011