Crabby after nap for a 1 year old

My son just turned one and he's always had somewhat of sleeping issues in the fact that he HATES going to sleep, hates napping - I think he's just too busy of a boy to want to do that - but he's with my mom 3 days a week and he only will take 1 40 minute nap and she says even if he gets 2 40 minute naps he is SO crabby for up to 2 hours after his nap - no matter what she trys to do to distract him - I am sure he's over tired but he's done this at home where he will take 2 - 1-1/2 naps and usually his second nap he will even wake up extremely crabby from that - any one's child do this?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 8:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter isnt TOO bad when it comes to napping. but she does wake up cranky on occasion. usually. i lay next to her and rub her back and talk to her sweetly. i talk to her about things she likes.... like asking her if she wants to get out of bed to watch spongebob.... or go play downstairs with her dog.... that usually does the trick. but if that doesnt work then i take her down stairs with me and give her a sippy with warm milk and rock with her until she gets into a better mood... lots of cuddles and kisses help too
    IGotLuckyInKy

Answer by IGotLuckyInKy at 10:52 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My son went through a period of time where he was crabby after the 2nd nap every day. Soon after that, he started to drop that 2nd nap. Maybe your son is ready to drop his second and transition to 1 nap per day. If so, the transition can take a few weeks or more to perfect. My son is 16 months old now and he has been on a 1 nap per day schedule for about 3 months. It took him about 2 to get it down pat.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 9:25 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Children thrive on consitency. Naptime should be at the same time everyday, set a routine and it should go like clockwork. This make them feel secure cuz they know what to expect. My son has a nap everyday at 12 until 2 or 3, he is 16 months btw. and all i have to do is put him in his crib, cover him up and walk out of the room.
    lorfav

Answer by lorfav at 9:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2008