Waking up cranky from naps...

My 2 year old wakes up cranky from naps, about 80% of the time. However, sometimes he wakes up and will fuss and cry for over :30. Anyone else have a kiddo like this? Hoping he'll grow out of it.

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 10:34 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If my 2 yo doesn't get his cuddle time in after his nap he's cranky for a little while.

Answer by missanc at 10:36 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• It's most likely because he didn't get enough sleep. My nephew is very much like this, and it's due to him waking up too early from his naos
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:42 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• That's my Mila! She can be such a turd after waking up sometimes. I notice that it happens when she's overtired, or when she's overstimulated before she goes down for her nap. I try to chill her out before I put her down and that really seems to help.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:42 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• If my 2 yo wake up too soon then he is like this and I know he needs to go back down.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 10:44 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Yeah, sounds like he needs more sleep. My son will normally sleep for about 1-1.5 hour, wake up and fuss a bit, then go back to sleep for another hour. If he's not able to go back to sleep at the mid-point, he'll be CRANKY!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:52 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I think he is either getting too much sleep or not enough! I would also suggest that he have a snack before his nap to help him sleep better!
    Sweetmami07

Answer by Sweetmami07 at 8:54 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Sometimes they just need some quiet cuddling to wake up. And maybe a fun snack as a distraction.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:09 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My son does this sometimes too. I just have to hold him and wait for the meltdown to end. All of a sudden he'll be totally fine and ask for a snack or start playing like nothing had been wrong even if he's been crying and throwing fits for 3- or 40 minutes. Sometimes I think he wasn't quite ready to wait up. He's generally pretty sensitive and temperamental though ('spirited'), so you never know what will cause a meltdown. Sometimes it's just anything unexpected or any transition will upset him at first. I hope he outgrows it and learns to manage his emotions better with time. For now, I just have to ride it out when he's feeling overwhelmed and try to help him calm himself down if possible.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 20, 2011