Wondering if you would want to....

teach your little one to speak Spanish??? My DD is 2 and can count to 10 in Spanish and understands her daddy when he speaks it to her...I've heard a lot of crap about people purposely not teaching their kids Spanish, b/c "this is america and we speak English"...in my opinion, that's doing nothing but hindering your child from learning.....wondering what you would do??? do you consider it bad to teach them Spanish??

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 10:41 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Absolutely. The younger the better. If the children learn two languages early, it will be that much easier for them to learn a 3rd and a fourth when they get older.

There are only benefits.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:57 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I have been guilty of saying "learn english, this is America", but, i think that is a more than a wonderful idea to teach them spanish. Our country has so many different races, and spanish is the most common spoken language in america,besides english of course. Also, a lot of good jobs require you to speak spanish.
    arkelly2188

Answer by arkelly2188 at 10:44 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Well in my opinion I think it is a wonderful thing to teach them another language at such a young age. The younger they are the easier it is to learn it. It would be better for her to learn now than when she is older and harder for her to learn. Plus now in the area I live in There are a lot of Hispanics so it is a huge plus if you are bilingual!
    DavidsMom0218

Answer by DavidsMom0218 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I think it's great! Both of my girls are bilingual in Spanish and English. I'm American, my husband Mexican, so they hear both languages. I think it's great for children to learn another language, no matter the language. =) I think it will greatly benefit them in the future too where job competition can come down to things like someone being bilingual vs someone not bilingual.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:51 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Very much in favour . having another language is the passport to another culture . My chidren are learning French, which I speak but not fluently.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 10:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I think it's wonderful for kids to learn other languages, whether it be spanish, chinese, italian, etc.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 11:02 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• ~*Honestly*~.... Other than speaking the language of the land I live in... I would not teach my kids unless it was spoken by friends and family! I don't know why people would purposely not teach spanish, but I know most find it disrespectful to enter soemone else's land, to live and work, than decided they are sperate from the land they claim is better they are moving to... I wouldn't move to Italy and refuse to speak their language! I would preserve English since it is our native tongue, but I couldn't dream of hating the place, people, and culture I was moving into

However, I would love to get ahold of those Rosetta Stone things for Italian!!! My husband is Italian, and it isn't far off from Spanish... but at least I'd be teaching a tongue they'd be around, otherwise it is lost as they grow older and are around mainly those that speak English...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• btw, totally joking about sleeping thru spanish. i actually got all a's and even went on to the AP course. however it was just not something that stuck with me and i dont know enough to pass it on to my kids. but if i were fluent in other languages, i would most certainly share that ability with my children.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:53 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• I would love for my children to learn spanish!!! I think it would greatly benefit them in todays America. There are MANY times it would be useful. I wish I knew it myself, it would have come in handy working at a convinience store!!
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 11:06 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• Honestly, I have enough to teach my kids right now without adding a foreign language that I don't know on top of it all. Between high school and college, I learned French, German, and a little bit of Greek. I really didn't retain much of any of it.

DH and I jokingly said that we needed to learn a foreign language that way we could communicate stuff in front of the kids without them knowing what we're talking about (Christmas presents, saying no to the sleepover, etc.) lol My best friend is Romanian, and that's what she and her husband do except now their kids are starting to catch on!
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 11:58 PM on Feb. 19, 2011