Crabby after naps?

My son just turned 1 year old - he is with my mom 3 days a week and gets extremely crabby after nap # 2 whether he's with her or at home with me.. and there is nothing to take his mind off how crabby he is - we have tried food, letting him wake slower, he pushes you away but crys and throws a fit when you set him down and he will be upset up to 2 hours after the nap?? Any advice?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 8:14 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well My mom has been playing around with that and we did too the other weekend, trying to stretch it out to just 1 nap - at my mom's, he will as of the last 2 weeks IS only taking 1 nap but it's still only 30-45 minutes long - and He gets up at 6:30 and won't take it til 1pm..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• are you saying that he is crappy after his second nap of the day? If so, try switching to one long nap in the middle of the day instead of 2 shorter naps, and then let him wake up on his own.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:21 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My dd is the same way. I am the same way! lol Some ppl/babies just are not in a good mood when they wake up. I for one am a bitch! lol
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• wow, hmmm, my 2nd son did that and our ND recomended that we go get somthing call Valarian super calm for kids at the health food store and give it to him 40 min before naps, then when he would wake up and then instead of getting him up, lay him back down and insist that he lay down longer. After about 1 week he was taking longer naps and crying less.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I don't know about the rest of you, but I would NEVER give my son DRUGS just because he is a little pissy after a nap. Valarian Super Calm? Sounds like Valium for kids, to me... I would just figure out what it is that he is wanting, because at that age when they are crabby they are trying to tell you something. Try feeding him right after a nap- my guy is a year old and he always has lunch right after his nap, and then he's in a great mood and wants to play. Or maybe he needs some exercise, or try reading a book... Just keep trying things till you find something that works. Thats all you can do. But drugs? No f***ing way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Try phasing out nap #1. Wear him out in the morning, and move his lunch up a bit and try putting him down right after lunch for his nap.
    Gwyn_meg

Answer by Gwyn_meg at 7:58 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Are you moving him during his second nap? Cuz they can get confused and disoriented if you are say for example are moving him from the car to the house while he is sleeping. This could be a reason for his mood when he wakes.
    lorfav

Answer by lorfav at 8:57 PM on Nov. 19, 2008