What kind of rules should I set when transitioning my toddler from a crib to a bed?

Do I make her stay in her bed in the morning until I get her? She is still in pull-ups at night but do I let her get up to use the bathroom in the morning then go back to bed until a certain time?
Do I let her get up and play in her room until that time?
How do I keep her from getting out of bed at bed time?

What are good ways to enforce the rules I will set?

joanna279

Asked by joanna279 at 11:26 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• consistently putting her back in bed if she gets out.
    Anonymous

• We took away the negativity of bedtime by allowing our children to feel they had some control over the matter. Our rule was, you can stay AWAKE as late as you want, as long as you stay on your bed and "read" a book, and then they were each allowed to choose 3 books to take to bed with them.

Once that "threat" of "it's bedtime and you MUST go to sleep" was gone, they would "read" for less than 30 minutes before they were sound asleep
    5150mama

Answer by 5150mama at 11:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2011

• no one is to sleep by the side of the toddler. My son can not go to sleep now, unless someone I lie on the side of his bed till he falls asleep, and wakes up , if I am not there........ he will cry for me.. Never had that problem when he was in crib.. Going on six months of this now.
    2aremine

Answer by 2aremine at 11:46 PM on Feb. 19, 2011