OMG my 12 year old just got her period.

Has anyone went through this with their 12 year old. What did you do? Im planning on taking her to the mall tomorrow and having a little girls day out. I also want to make her a gift bag. Panties, pad, and other nick nacks. Any recommendation?

dubewife

Asked by dubewife at 11:59 PM on Feb. 19, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Hey Missy NORMAL! talk to her and tell her what to expect for the rest of her life talk about the pain that might or might not come with her cycle talk to her about now that she is a women she can get pregnant.
    She needs to know why her body is going through these changes and that its norman...and its a great idea to make a girly basket for her and now they have thin pads that might be more compy for her. Tell her to change ofter and count the days til her next cycle for me it was 27 days from when i started then she wont be caught off guard...
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 12:30 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I was 11 when I got my period. I went to the bathroom and yelled "uh, mom!" My mom came flying in the bathroom saying "I knew this was going to happen soon." and whipped some pads out of no where.
    Honestly, I think what you do depends on your relationship with your daughter. A friend of my neice was so embarassed by how her mom acted when she got her period. Her mom wanted to have a whole celebration and "Beth" thought her mom was being ridiculous. You know your daughter best. Don't do something because you are excited, do something you know your daughter will appreciate and if that is doing nothing-do nothing.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:50 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I was 14 when I started, I was a late bloomer!!

Anyway,maybe get her a little bag or something that she can keep pads in to put in her purse and/or backpack for school. Something small and discreet!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:51 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• http://www.pogopack.co.uk/
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 12:01 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I was 12 when I got my period....it's really not THAT young to start.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I was 9 when I got my period and no one had even talked to me about it yet. I was terrified, but I knew what it was. I would also suggest tampons- pads were so uncomfortable and I hated wearing them. Then my mom finally told me about tampons! It was so much better. (Oh, give her those little 'fresh wipes' they make you feel so clean and way less icky.)
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:45 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• i was between 10-11 when i started. my dd is nine and already showing signs that she could start within the year-2 years. we bought some pads on sale just in case and when i know for sure i will get her wipes etc for it. she might want a little bottle of perfume to. to me i always seemed to feel like i had a odor even though i was constantly washing.
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 2:33 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• perfume she will need it maybe bras just in case
    rave88

Answer by rave88 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• i think thats a great idea!!!
    Tarrahs2011

Answer by Tarrahs2011 at 12:26 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• i was 12 when I got my first period, and NOBODY had ever talked to me about it! I freaked out because all I seen was a bunch of blood. My grandmother was watching us since my mom was working, and she just took me into the restroom, help clean me up, said ok now youre a woman, and gave me a pad, and LEFT me in the bathroom. So not the best experience! LOL but sounds like you've got a good idea. The mall idea, just the girls, is a great idea! The gift bag also, can make her feel special too, and that its part of growing up. Some new panties, pads, maybe some lotions, or femine wash, and other girly things that are for BIG girls will help make her transition into young lady a lot easier!
    sissy4444

Answer by sissy4444 at 1:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2011