Potty training my puppy.

I love my puppy to death, but this peeing thing is driving me crazy! We've had her for about a month now and we've been trying to house break her. She's been getting better, so I thought, but tonight alone I've found 4 spots she's pee'd in. I just let her and my other dog out not even 5 minutes ago and she just pee'd on my rug! I don't get it. I know puppies can be hard to train (just like potting training a child) but I train both of my parents dogs and never had such a hard time like this. I put her nose in it and tell her no and all that, but....It's driving me crazy.

Are there any other tactics I can try? I give her a treat after she goes outside and I've seen her go and I praise her a lot. Not sure what else to do. We tried puppy pads.....haha. Yeah, it was a chew toy.

MommyLee08

Asked by MommyLee08 at 12:00 AM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Pets

• No no, do not get puppy pads and do not paper train. That just encourages them to pee inside. I had a poodle that was paper trained when I got her and she was ten years old when she died and she still peed and pooped on any piece of paper we found on the floor. First of all, what kind of puppy is it? Buy a kennel and keep her in it when you are not home. Puppies will try very hard not to soil a confined space. The key times to take them out are when you first wake up, before you leave, when you come home, after she eats, and before you got to bed. When she first squats down to pee say "Good girl!" but don't make a big deal because you'll distract her. When she is finished, cheer and pet her and hug her and tell her how good she is. Dogs are pleasers and will do just about anything to make you happy. When she goes in the house, don't rub her nose in it but make sure she sees it and tell her "Bad girl!" and maybe pop her on the
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 12:46 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• butt. Then take her right out. If you catch her while she's doing it then lift up her backside and she'll stop. Some puppies are harder then others and it takes a lot of patience. I have a redbone hound puppy now and she is doing very well, because I spend a lot of time outside with her. Good luck!
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 12:52 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I do all of that. I dont rub her nose it 'cause that gross, but I do bring her back to the spot and make her look at it and say "No, Bad Girl." We have a Kennel and she's in it when we're not here and at night(at least till she's trained). She'll get a little pop on the butt if she goes in the house just after she comes in from outside but I don't do it more than that because I don't want her to be afraid of me. She's getting better but it seems like she has days where she forgets or something. I take her out when I first get up and, if i'm in the room, right after she wakes up from naps and finishes playing with our other dog. She goes out a lot. Thats why I'm at a loss. I know I need to just stick with it and like with children, not all dogs are the same.

And She is a very very good puppy. She understands "no" and "Stay" and "sit" already. She was never trained before we got her, she's just picked up on it.
    MommyLee08

Comment by MommyLee08 (original poster) at 12:57 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I would first and foremost have her checked out for a urinary tract infection, which is a simple analysis of her urine.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:16 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I didn't even think of that! I'll have that checked out for "just to be sure" reasons. It can't hurt, right?
    MommyLee08

Comment by MommyLee08 (original poster) at 1:19 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Are you going outside with her EACH time so you know she is doing her business? Other than the times the other poster suggested, also take her out about every 30 minutes at first and then you can slowly increase the increments. When you take her out, stay with her until she does her business then praise her. If she doesn't potty, put her back in her crate/kennel for 10 minutes then back outside. Once she has pottied outside, then she can have some free roam of the house as long as you are watching her closely. If you catch her going in the house, tell her no then pick her up and take her straight outside. Be sure to clean the spot well using an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle. If you don't catch her in the act, it will not do you or her any good to scold her, rub her nose in it, or hit her as she will already have forgotten about it and all you will do is make her fear you!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 12:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2011