Is it safe to pump after I have had a couple beers?

Kelli1012

Asked by Kelli1012 at 12:02 AM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No its' not safe. Usually you're supposed to wait about 3 hours to BF after you've had alcohol. I know Medela makes strips to test your breastmilk for alcohol levels. I've seen that at Target and they are pretty inexpensive.
    etanert

Answer by etanert at 12:05 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• "Many pediatricians and lactation consultants will tell you that a single glass of wine or beer is fine on occasion. Others will advise that you don't drink at all. No matter what the advice, it's a fact that alcohol does pass into breast milk and heavy drinking (more than two glasses daily) is not healthy for you or your baby."

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:09 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I bought alcohol test strips at babies r us. I was surprised at how long alcohol stays in your system. I was so glad that I had them cause there were times when a couple hours had passed after drinking a glass or two of wine and it was still in my system.
    rpetullo

Answer by rpetullo at 12:13 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I was told to pump 2 times after drinking and throwing the milk away. but its probally best not to drink at all while your breastfeeding.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 8:03 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• When nursing, the rule I follow is, 1-2 drinks, safe to nurse but any more then that, wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing again. For EPing, I'd follow the same rules. Pump/dump is never needed, as pumping will not make the alcohol leave your milk any faster. Only time will do that. It leaves your milk at the same rate it leaves your blood. There's a mom in the Breastfeeding Moms group, who tried the test strips, just for fun, while pregnant, and obviously not consuming any alcohol, and they came up positive. I wouldn't trust them.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:36 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• pump then take a test then throw out the milk and do it again till you can pump
    rave88

Answer by rave88 at 4:48 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• no pump in dump unless your engorged but an hour a drink is what I do, I will have a glass of wine or beer and just wait till he nursed then I know theres plenty of time for it to get out of my system
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 2:51 AM on Feb. 21, 2011