Anyone else adopt from ethiopia or russia

i have a friend of mine and her husband who have 3 children and are in the process of adopting and originally wanted to go with a child from ethiopia but recently added russia to their choices as well now they are waiting for the paperwork for both to see which one come back first...has anyone else dealt with either one of these two countries with adoptions before?? which one is better and how well did the child adapt because they will be getting an older child instead of a baby because the wait would be longer for a baby

ahsot1230

Asked by ahsot1230 at 12:03 AM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Adoption

• My best advice for your friends is to join a yahoo group that deals specifically with those country adoption programs. I would also suggest they check out www.bethany.org and go the forums there. I am a member of the bethany forums and have been for many years as we adopted from China. I have a lot of friends on there that have adopted from Ethiopia.
    It is vital that they fully research each program- travel, length of travel, expenses, in country expenses and what to expect in court, bribes are very common in Russia BTW...it is best if they meet some people that have adopted from the country they are interested in...they should also learn as much about the history and culture so that they can keep their new child immersed in their heritage.
    I will also suggest that they learn about attachment and bonding as that will be essential if they are bringing an older child home...as well as the language as there will be a
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:17 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• language barrier.
    Researching about adopting an older transracial child is also a must for them. Good luck to them!
    Adoption is a long emotionally charged road, but it is an amazing journey and I would not change one thing about our process. Our daughter is pretty darn amazing! She has been home for almost 4 years and came home at 17 months from China.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:19 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Friends of ours adopted a sibling group from Ethiopia almost 2 years ago. They do have little issues here & there (oldest grew up mothering the youngers, had to learn that mom was the mom and she could be a kid, minor food & bathroom issues that were quickly resolved), but have adapted amazingly well. The kids picked up on the language quite quickly, do have little slip-ups now & then where they can't think of the right words but all in all it's been good (but busy!) for them.
    Anonymous

• I have had several friends adopt from Russia and our quite happy with their life. So are the kids. But tipping is big in Russia. Panty hose and chocolates were the big tipping items. You tip taxi drivers and almost everyone who assists you with these gifts. One friend collected gentley used jeans to tip - and it was much appreciated.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:11 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Considered Russia, just be aware of the pricing abpnd expect it to fluctuate. 'tipping' is a huge thing there! I highly recommend learning some basic Russian to help you. Maybe even taking your own translator with you to be sure you are hearing the correct translation.
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 2:27 AM on Feb. 20, 2011