• In the Spotlight:

How much TV do you let your toddler watch?

jadenbaby

Asked by jadenbaby at 2:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't keep track. She is 2 and the TV is almost always on (usually my husband is watching sports or movies). She turns it on in the morning and watches cartoons until someone gets up to get her breakfast. After that...who knows. Sometimes she sits with the other kids and watches. Most of the time she only watches a few minutes and goes to do something else. I don't limit my kids' TV time unless they aren't behaving or haven't moved off the sofa in hours.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• My kids didn't watch any television until they were 2 and even now it's limited. DS just turned 5 and watches one (sometimes two) 30 minute programs during the day. DD just turned 3 and still has almost no interest in it whatsoever. During the Summer, they simply rather be playiong outside or doing other things. This may change when cooler weather hits, for right now though, I'm grateful they show little interest.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 2:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• i really dont think it matters. my son is a year a half and he will only watch like three shows on tv. but i dont think its a bad thing.
    hotmomma768

Answer by hotmomma768 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• It depends. If she is sick, I will use it to entertain her while she feels rottern. If I am sick (heavy sigh), then I will use it to entertain her while my own attention span and patience level is low. Otherwise, I will usually let her watch about an hour a day - Curious George, Word World, Sesame Street, or a DVD we own.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• not too much...just about an hour or two during the day. Otherwise we're playing or she's taking a nap. I'm sure she would love to watch more though.
    mommy030507

Answer by mommy030507 at 3:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• We've been watching about 1-2 hours a day lately b/c I am 8 months preggo and exhausted all the time. Plus, it's 90+ weather so it's been too hot to go outside. I usually like to do less though. I make sure it's something at least somewhat educational though.
    Liz_24

Answer by Liz_24 at 6:13 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• im really bad cuz the tvs always on when we are inside and my son watches a great deal of tv in betwen his playing but its also background noise too
    JacobsMama1022

Answer by JacobsMama1022 at 6:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• my son usually only watches a couple of shows in the morning and then in the afternoon i try to get him outside for a little bit but im eight months prego too and its really hot outside but he plays with his toys a lot of the time, so he kinda goes back and forth between the tv and toys.
    greenegurls

Answer by greenegurls at 3:12 PM on Jul. 9, 2008