I got a check today for 4,940.00 and I was wondering if you think its fake? because I don't think money falls from the sky like that.

it looks so real but I personally think it might be a scam because money does not fall from the sky like that. it tells me that its from http://www.mysteryshopperjobs.com it says your tasks with this money are as follows: walmart purchase of 50.00 gap purchase of 40.00 western union transfer of 2,800 service charge by western union 150.00 money gram transfer 1540.00 and service charge by money gram 60.00 the total equals 4,940.00.

When I saw western union on there I thought to myself then it definetly has to be spam because hackers love scaming you threw western union! but what do u mom's think about this??? I called to the bank it says on the check which is west valley national bank and they said it is a real check, but I told them I was going to take it in person to my bank to see what they say.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Money & Work

• Let me know what your real bank says then please tell me where I can sign up for money like that lol. Definetly talk to your bank and be honest about it they will let you know straight up if its legit or not
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 8:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Did you sign up for some Mystery Shopper thing?? If so, that may be what's it's for. They told you what you are supposed to do with the money. See if there's an 800 number somewhere. On the check, the paper that came with it or even on the website and call and ask about it.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Your bank will be able to tell you if it is real. Do not, even if your bank says it's legit spend a dime of it until it clears 100%!! Get the clearance of the check IN WRITING from YOUR bank!! I got one of these and the police were called on me bc they thought I was trying to cash it when I was trying to see if it was legit. The bank teller didn't speak very much english and told her mgr that I was "cashing it". If it comes back not legit, you owe the bank!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Thats so weird...... good luck
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 8:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I never signed up for it, only my hubby did but for another company that also deals with mystery shopping but this one is under my name I dont know why.
    Anonymous

• Ask your bank for sure. They should know
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 8:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• ITS A SCAM!THROW IT AWAY!!I get them all the time , I fell for it the first time and now I owe the bank money because they cashed it before verifying if it was legit or not.They have websites about it.It seems to good to be true, because it IS!!
    Sarah0306

Answer by Sarah0306 at 8:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• It is most definitely a scam. My friend recieved one of these checks. Tear it up and throw it away. We researched the company online and found several scam reports on them.
    LazyMistake

Answer by LazyMistake at 9:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• like a previous mom mentioned you could cash it at your bank but dont touch that money fro a good 6 months which is plenty of time for it to clear. I would put money on it bouncing and or it cashing and then you owing them money for NOT doing the tasks. Mystery shopper is a joke. I signed up for it and got royally screwed out of about $50 dont give them any info just cash it and see what happens but do NOT NOT NOT touch that money until it has CLEARED or you will be up to your eyeballs indebt. Its so unfair they can do garbage like that
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:30 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I got two checks (on different days) for $1900.00 each. They were sent by Fedex (using Barnes and Noble's shipping number...they paid for it) and the Company name's were different on each check. I called both companies and they didn't know anything about them. And the bank the checks were issued on was a real bank name but the address was listed in New York and it didn't match up. The address was in a building 3 blocks away from the actual bank and was a residence. I turned the checks over to the Fraud department at the Police Department. I had recently advertised a car for sale on craigslist.com. I think that's where all this must have originated from. Don't trust this especially if you didn't ask for it. Your right..money doesn't fall from the sky and and if I were you I wouldn't do anything with those checks but turn them over to the Police.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 11:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2008