Vent: preschool waiting lists

My son just turned 3 last month, and only recently did my husband and I agree to put aside some money for preschool (most cost $600+ a month here). I'm just frustrated that most of the schools I like in our area are full (now and even starting in the fall). One school even told me that by the time they have room in the fall, my son would be "too old" to start their program. Kinda beating myself over the head for not starting this sooner - like 10 months ago when we moved here.

Anyone else played the preschool waiting game?

phoofy

Asked by phoofy at 12:52 AM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It sucks but be persistent it will pay off

ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 12:55 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• But do I put him in somewhere that has room but maybe isn't a place I'm excited about (but safe and clean) just to make sure he gets in sometime this year? Or wait for a spot at a place I like, even though it might not be until next year and he'll only go for one year before Kinder? (Part of the reason for preschool is to give me a little break as well. It's been a rough 3 years doing this on my own since husband is 99% at work, and we have no family nearby to help out.)
    phoofy

Comment by phoofy (original poster) at 1:00 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Quite wierd I must say. Perhaps as parents we all give in & the schools/instituions are all banking on that.....
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 1:09 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I think the answer to that depends on how badly you want him in k-3 this year. If you really need the break, you could put him in a place that has a spot open now and when the school year starts, put him on a waiting list for the next year at the place you like. Then, at least he'll be in the spot you like for a year. If you would really rather he not go to a place you are iffy about, just put him on a waiting list and sign up for Mother's Day Out until he can get in.
    OnyxStarlight

Answer by OnyxStarlight at 1:19 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• no never paid that much nor waited like that....many preschools had waiting list but if we applied now we got them in by Aug. Where do you live?
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 1:24 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Where do you live? !!!
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:30 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• We live in Los Angeles, near Santa Monica. I should also add that there are some nice schools with open spots, but they are over $1000/month (and that's 2-3 half days a week).

In tried searching for MDO programs around here, but no luck. Our other option is to hire a part time sitter or nanny. That will solve my break problem, but I do also want to introduce my son to classrooms, learn to listen to other adults, and learn to play with other kids.
    phoofy

Comment by phoofy (original poster) at 1:43 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Ask if you can sit in at a couple of places you say are nice but you are not excited about. Most schools will allow visits like this. And if they don't I wouldn't pick them anyway. Go and observe that the children are happy, the teachers kind , and there are plenty of play areas.......dress up, kitchen, etc. It is mostly for the socialization at this age so make that your focus. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:34 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Have you looked into the local Head Start programs?
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 8:30 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Good luck with the head start program - when our kids were little we didn't qualifiy because we didn't live in low income housing. It didn't matter that we were poor as church mice, we still could not get in. Instead we did preschool at home, the story hour at the library and spent a lot of time at the park. My kids were more than ready for Kindergarten when the time came and it saved us a small fortune compared to paying for private preschool.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:22 AM on Feb. 20, 2011