My 10month old still needs to be swaddled to fall asleep. how do i teach him to fall asleep without it?

his sleepytime routine involves being TIGHTLY swaddled and nursed until he falls asleep. only then will he allow me to put him down in his crib. but when he wakes up in the middle of the night because his arm got out of the blanket, he'll wake me up and we'll do it all over again. this happens every hour or so. i haven't gotten a good sleep since he was born & i'm exhausted. i want to get him to fall asleep longer, & right now i'm thinking the swaddling might be holding him back. but i don't know where to start to effectively get him to fall asleep. i guess i don't want to put any effort in yet & lose MORE sleep to do something i know nothing about. i'm looking for some tips so i won't go into this blind. idk if i should just take his blankie away cold turkey or slowly wean him, or loosen the blanket while he's asleep. i'm just afraid of losing more sleep. =( but i know that to get him sleeping normally will probably involve some lost sleep. i just need advice first.

rAbella

Asked by rAbella at 12:59 AM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give him rice cereal mixed with milk in a bottle warmed up and it will fill his tummy and he should sleep through the night for u.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:04 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• ~*Awe*~... personally I would just keep it up and view it like people in general.. like my hubby and I, he prefers with no blankie, and I swaddle myself (feels freezing to me)... or like my mom that sleeps with covers over her head but I can't have anything touching my face???

10 months and just breast, or does he get food too? Try playing with him, and tuckering him out before laying him down... I did this with mine... sometimes that peace being awake wasn't worth loosing my sleep at night!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:09 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• We used swaddle blankets with my son and he loved being swaddled, it was like his cue that it was time to go to sleep. I only swaddled him for naps and bedtime. But, I never swaddled him until AFTER I laid him down in his crib. I didn't nurse him to sleep either. Are you sure he is waking because of the swaddle? My son never woke up because his arm came out, if he woke up, it was for another reason. When he did outgrow his swaddle blankets around 5 months old or so, I just used a different blanket and tucked it around his arms & under him when I laid him down. He didn't have any trouble, and eventually got used to not needing it tucked in so tightly. To me, it sounds like he needs to learn to fall asleep on his own. It is normal to wake in the night, but without your help he doesn't know how to fall back asleep on his own. There are different methods to try to get him to learn to fall asleep on his own, but it is up to you
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 1:12 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Ran out of room! It is up to you how you want to get him to fall asleep on his own. You can look up different sleep training methods online and see if one is something you could try. It is so hard, especially when YOU are SO TIRED! Good luck!
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 1:14 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Dr Jim on The Doctors tv show says not to swaddle them when they are that old. The baby is probably just cold and wakes up just like the rest of us when we get cold. Just cover him up
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Put one of those blanket sleepers on him over his pjs so he is nice and cozy and then swaddle more loosely than you have been to "wean" him from the tight swaddling. Keep the swaddle blanket, though, because that probably is a comfort item now. Let it become looser and looser. There is no need to take that away ever. Keep it for sleeping only, not for having all over the house. I agree that he is probably not waking because of the swaddling coming loose. Give him time to fall back asleep on his own. It might take a few nights but he should be able to sleep for longer stretches by now. I would not feed him any sooner than 4 hours if you think he still needs feedings during the night. And do not put cereal in a bottle. It can cause choking and is not necessary. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:29 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• This was our baby exactly, until a few weeks ago. Based on her temperament we decided to go cold turkey on the swaddling and use the extinction method/CIO. After one "bad" night (crying for just over an hour) she now sleeps for 12 hrs. a night in her sleep sack, with waking once to feed. It's not for everyone, but it worked for us!

TikiWiki33

Answer by TikiWiki33 at 10:02 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I'd try a sleep sack. I used sleep sacks for my son when he was younger and he did great sleeping in them instead of being swaddled.
    Vix920

Answer by Vix920 at 1:01 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• What helped me break the baby sleeping habit was to send him to grandmas for a week. For some reason someone else putting them down to sleep they were much more excepting and they slept complete better when I brought them back home. I have a 5 yr old and a 3 yr old and grandma was my saviour each time.

Good luck!!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• don't nurse him to sleep otherwise they could get used to having that and that's no trust me my son was the same way and try tucking him in with a blanket, just on his sides, instead of fully swaddling him. Good luck!!!
    lashes325

Answer by lashes325 at 10:51 AM on Feb. 21, 2011