My daughter is 6 months old and up til now she has slept in her swing at night (i know bad idea!) I'm trying to get her to sleep in her crib but everytime I put her in there she cries and screams. Is there anything I can do to help make this easier for her?

Kiera23

Asked by Kiera23 at 8:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter used to only sleep in her swing. then she moved to the carseat. now she sleeps in her crib, but on an incline wedge.

i was told that she liked the security of the small spaces being reminscient of my womb.

just take baby steps.... the crib can seem like a big, scary open space to a little kiddo.

good luck.... i've been where you are now
    rachelsmommy78

Answer by rachelsmommy78 at 11:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Just try putting her in her crib as much as possible, naps, playtime, and bedtime. She's probably going to have a hard time adjusting, but it won't last forever. Just be patient and don't give up! GL :)
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 8:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• start putting her in her swing at night but not letting it swing!! Once she gets use to the stillness of the swing, THEN try to put her in her crib.
    She needs to get used to being still at night, it's very difficult!
    son_and_moon

Answer by son_and_moon at 8:43 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• i used to let mine sleep in the swing the we could put her in the crib when she was fast asleep that worked for a while then she relized so we got her this stabelizer things from walmart so she couldnt roll and that seemed to help when it was tight on her
    dewey_scoles

Answer by dewey_scoles at 8:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• yikes.. yeah you are just gonna have to deal with the crying if you want her to sleep in her crib.. You can rock her for a bit if that helps, and make sure you check on her and rule out that nothing else is wrong, but the crying is just gonna happen. crying isnt a terrible thing.... and i think you know why she is so upset, .. she will just have to adjust.

good luck.
    Anonymous

• I would put her in the crib for short periods during the day so that she is used to it. My son is still sleeping in our bedroom right now but I make sure to put him in his crib in his room a few times a day so that it is a place that is he familiar with. Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Oh the sweet things we do for our babies that turn them into little frankensteins!! With my first, I thought I would be such a wonderful mommy and play soft music for her during sleep times....now 12 yrs later, she CANNOT sleep without music!! UGH! gl mama!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• The swing is a very dangerous place for a baby to sleep... Unfortunately there are heightened risks of SIDS when they sleep upright like that, and also the constant movement is going to have an effect, because now she will have a very difficult time sleeping in the crib. You have some long nights ahead of you... I know how it is, I let my son sleep on my shoulder at night for two months, and it took about a week of constant crying to get him used to a crib.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Put her in her crib - but make it a pleasent experience. Play with her, read to her, listen to soothing music with her. Once she is asleep, leave the room. After a week or two, stop staying in the room after you play or read to her, she needs to learn how to fall asleep by herself. She'l get used to it. Repetition, schedule, this is what she needs.
    raydensmommy

Answer by raydensmommy at 12:15 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• saddly my son was the same way i started just by putting him in the crib at naps when he was so sleepy he couldnt hold his eyes open any more then i worked my way up to at night now he doesnt use the swing at all and refuses to sleep anywhere but his bed or the car i did the cry it out but it helped that i had my roommate to help me during cry it out i felt so bad but it was the best thing for him
    thenameisMOM103

Answer by thenameisMOM103 at 11:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2008