Should No Prenatal Care. Or Lack of Prenatal Care be Considered Child Neglect Or Child Abuse?

Should No Prenatal-Care. Or Lack of Prenatal Care be Considered Child Neglect Or Child Abuse? And do you think a woman should be charged with Child Neglect or Child Abuse for no Prenatal Care or lack of Prenatal Care. Or  should the Pregnant woman then have her child/ren removed after her infant/s Birth due to no Prenatal Care or lack of Prenatal Care?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Pregnancy

• absolutely
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Yes!! when i was pg i went to go see my Dr, well i ended up seeing another Dr because my Dr was out, turned out this 40something year old was having a baby& it happened that my Dr was at the hospital when she went into labor, anyways this lady had no prenatal care, never saw a Dr& was 42 weeks pg& the only reason she went to the hospital was because her water broke.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 1:42 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• yes if you are not willing to take care of the baby before its born you sure as hell arent going to take care of it when it comes
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 2:10 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• * You mean by 'medical professionals'?

Lots of women do their own care / are aware enough to know what to do~
    Not irresponsible, just different.

If someone doesn't do anything at all it doesn't necessarily make them "bad" either... I think we'd need to know more about each unique individual situation before making any judgments.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:28 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• No absolutely not.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:31 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Hmm. It depends if a preg woman is unable to take care of herself then yes prenatal care becomes necessary. On the other hand if the woman is actually healthy and look after her herself and the baby in the womb then prenatal care might not be required...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 3:18 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• The answer depends on your definition of lack of care. If you mean self-care only, no medical professionals, then no.

If you mean a woman who is blatantly not taking care of herself by drug abuse, including alcohol, or refusing to take care of her documented medical condition, such as Type 1 diabetes, then yes, child services should get involved. Does that mean that the child should be removed? The answer to that should be done on a case-by-case basis.
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:51 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• No! I didn't see a doctor at all during my second pregnancy, since I didn't have insurance, and couldn't afford it. I knew my body, and had been thru it before, and if at any point I had felt the baby was in distress, I would have gone. Turns out I had a perfectly healthy, baby boy, whom is now 5 years old and well taken care of. Each case is different, and making the world black and white like that is stupid.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 6:52 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I didn't have any prenatal care until I was 7 months pregnant with my first son- everything was fine. He's a healthy four year old, who is well loved and taken care of. There's a difference between not caring that you're pregnant and not taking care of yourself, and choosing for one reason or another not to seek medical attention.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:35 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Well, from what I know alot of pregnancies are unplanned, therefore, prenatal care is not taken. Now to go that far as to say remove the child from the mother I don't think that's right. Really the prenatal care does come from the food intake that a mother gives. I have also seen stories where some women didn't even know they were pregnant until going into delivery and the baby came out fine.
    TonieW

Answer by TonieW at 9:36 AM on Feb. 20, 2011