Should a man be allowed to sue a woman for murder, if she has an Abortion without notifying him?

If they had consentual sex and she doesn't tell him she is pregnant, but gets an abortion, shouldn't he have rights?
The laws of the United States do not acknowledge the right a father to stop the abortion of his own child, but rather place that act solely within the decision of the mother. It takes 2 to make a baby. Why is it that she is the only one can make the decision of not letting a life continue to be created? Just because it is her body? Is that fair to the father? Is that fair to the rest of our families?
ps-I am posting anonmously because my brother's girlfriend is on my cafemom site and they are currently going through this issue. He doesn't know yet, and I feel like I need to tell him. But she is telling me that it isn't his decision. Can he/our family sue for custody of an unborn child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• if she doesn't tell him, then he'll never know she was preg to begin with..unless you tell him. can he afford another child? can he pay for all prenatal/hospital bills if she kept it, then gave it to him? i'm not an advocate for abortion, but if no bc was used, this is precisely what usually happens. if they were married, IMO, i think he should have rights. but otherwise, no. (i think its terrible she put this on you; maybe she's not sure she wants an abortion, and doesn't know she's looking for input from his sister as how to proceed, with him and a baby in her life. she's prob really confused, and hopefully, will consider everything before the final act to end this life. i would find it hard to not tell my brother, if it were me.) you could contact a lawyer, to find real answers, but you may be too late. good luck.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• YES!!!!!!!!!!!

If she was in a car accident and killed by a drunk driver the guy could be charged with manslaughter, why should this be any different?
    Anonymous

• Sorry if I don't make sense. I am emotional, and am not sure where to go to get answers.
    Anonymous

• Well I meant YES to should be able to not, but as for CAN I think the answer is no, sadly. :(
    Anonymous

• My brother is raising 3 girls on his own and I KNOW he would want this baby. My family would WANT this baby. I am SOOOO FRUSTRATED
    Anonymous

• I think it was unfair of your brother's gf to tell you this. It puts a big burden on you.

If it were me, I'd just stay out of it.

No, I don't think a man should be able to sue a woman for murder for having an abortion. When men can have babies, then I may change my mind.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 8:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• um um um um um
    Anonymous

• you can call a lawyer for a free consultaion. call a family practice lawyer. and he will give you a summary of your chances of her actually getting sued and your chances of winning. you can sue for sure but it depend on the judge on wether he thinks she was wrong or right. good luck
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 8:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• What's Webster's and the legal definition of murder
    Anonymous

• I think a father should have way more rights than he does. I think he should have a say in an abortion and he should also be able to get custody after baby is born.... (if the Mom wants to kill the baby anyways, and the Dad wants the baby then he should be able to make that choice). I know lots of women say "it's my body, my baby", BUT it's his baby too and in most situations the women had just as many rights as the man (to have sex). SO... I think all the questions you ask should be a yes but I don't know that they are
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2008