Small animals?

We have a couple of rats and one is not going to make it through the night. I've had them in the past but have never had any die when the ground was frozen. We can't bury it the way it is now. Would I be a bad person if I threw it in the trash? I don't know what else to do!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Pets

• Aww, I'm sorry... I don't think you would be a bad person, no. I would wrap it up carefully and consider that it's burial.
    Anonymous

• i dont think you would be a bad person for doing this, althou u have heard of putting it in the plastic bag and putting it in your freezer until the ground is unfrozen so that you can bury it later (ew i know) i would just put it in the bag and throw in the trash after the kids said their goodbyes.
    aidensema

Answer by aidensema at 8:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• We had a guniea pig that we absolutely loved. She could do all kinds of tricks. She lived to be six years old and died in my arms about 6 months ago. It was cold out when she died so we put her in an airtight container in the garage with a heavy flower pot on top of it. as soon as it got a bit warmer outside, we burried her in the woods behind our house. her grave is close-by and we have a nice stone with a little resin cross for her.

no, i couldn't throw a little animal i loved in the garbage. i don't however think you are a bad person if you do.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 8:48 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• if you feel bad then take it to your local animal shelter/spca and they will take care of it for you
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 8:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• pugpin guinea pigs only live up to 3 years old not 6! I've had guineas all my life and read books about them and everything, and the most theyll ever live is 3 yrs old I know its sad but thats the way rodents are.
    Anonymous

• This is the OP and we actually had 2 guinea pigs that lived to be 6 years old as well. They live much longer than most other small animals.

Thanks ladies. I'll have to ask my husband what he thinks about putting it in the garage. There's NO WAY I could deal with it in my freezer. I just feel SO inhumane doing anything other than burying it. Won't the animal hospital try to charge me??
    Anonymous

• Leave it on the doorstep if you don't want to be charged:-)
    Anonymous

• NO .......animal hospital i have no clue thats y you should go to a shelter or spca
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 9:50 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• A guniea pig's life span is an average of 5 years. I think Ripley's has the oldest document guniea pig as having lived 10 years.

I've had guniea pigs my entire life too and our little baby lived to be 6 years old. I know the difference between 3 and 6 years.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 3:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2008