What age is appropriate to speak to your child about sex?

dubewife

Asked by dubewife at 5:01 AM on Feb. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• Early they need to be educated what good and bad touch are and who should be doing it...also teaching them about sex and life at a young as is good especially when they get older.
    My mom talked to me and all of my brothers from an early age about sex and for me when my first period would come and what to expect so when it happened i wasn't surprised. I was very well informed and I thank my mom for it. I talked to my son since he was a little boy and he is now 16 and I still talk to him and he comes to me with questions too so I know I taught him right. Talk about STD boys and what they want from girls and vise versa.....
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 6:25 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Most schools do it around 5th grade. I want to reach my kids on the topic before the school does. I would say maybe 3rd grade. I think you should start out slow talking about sex and not overload kids. Not too graphic in the beginning so that it doesn't come across as scary. I also think books on the subject for kids are a great tool.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:06 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My philosophy is, if they are old enough to ask a question, they are old enough for an honest answer. So we discuss sex just like any other topic, as it comes up.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 7:05 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My son asked the million dollar question, "Where do babies come from?" at age 5, so I explained things in a scientific fashion. I think it was a few years later when he knocked on our closed bedroom door and said "Are you fertilizing in there?"
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:12 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• whenever they are showing signs of curiosity on the subject. And that usually starts sooner than parents realize. Some kids get more info from kids at school than they do their parents.

My DD was only 5 when i talked to her about it because an older neighbor decided to tell my DD what sex is in her own words. I actually called my DD's Dr. and asked if she was too young. Her Dr. said no, that there is nothing wrong with a 5 year old knowing about sex. She said it will not harm her in any way, like some parents think it might. I figured it should come from me & the information should be accurate.

I also told her that she is not allowed to do what the neighbor did, she can't tell anyone about sex because that is the parents job & that some parents might get mad at her if she talks about sex with kids at school...

So, that is my experience. She is 9 now & a great kid.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:22 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I already had the talk with my kids at 9 and 10 bc they were hearing things from school and friends and I wanted them to know the truth. I don't care if anyone judges. the sooner the better because you don't want the wrong person teaching them about it. I talk to my kids about highschool, college, bullying, peer pressure, the world as it turns, and try my best to prepare them for life bc even at an early age children realize, life isn't always wonderful. I don't make them feel bad but let them know what to expect and how to try and handle it.
    ConnectHearts

Answer by ConnectHearts at 7:29 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My girls are 5 and 7 and we have already had an age appropriate talk.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 11:03 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• When they ask questions, I would talk to them in an age appropriate way. I think it's best if it's ongoing over time, instead of a big download of information all in one sitting.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:22 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• This should be a series of conversations, starting practically at birth, beginning with teaching children the proper names for body parts and their functions. I never cease to be amazed that adult women don't know the difference between a vagina and a vulva.

Keep your eye out for teachable moments, like a pregnant relative or a litter of puppies.

What you don't want, is your child picking up misinformation from her/his peers

Answer by rkoloms at 4:22 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I spoke to my kids about sex when they were around 7 or 8. I remember the other kids asking questions when I was around this age so I wanted to get to them before the kids got to them. I was a teen mom and did not want them to make that mistake. (raped when I was 16) I still told spoke to them early.
    dubewife

Comment by dubewife (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Feb. 20, 2011