I am scared of snakes do anyone have any advise as to how to keep them away from the house?

I am a city girl so snakes are disturbing to me. Someone told me that I can put something around the house.

dubewife

Asked by dubewife at 5:15 AM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Tractor supply has a product called "snake away" that I use to keep water snakes away from my pond. It seems to work. Don't have good hiding places around the house. Keep leaves raked, no low bushes, keep fire wood away from the house, etc. Also, don't have anything attractive to rodents or other prey of the snakes.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 9:07 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• my parents use the "snake away" stuff from tractor supply and we only see about 1 snake a year and they have 10+ acres......and believe me it takes me a week or more to go out there after the one a year scare.....i hate snakes
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:25 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• A friend of mine used to live in Taiwan, where they had some huge snakes. She said that they always had a dog in the yard in order to protect her children. It was common practice. She said she didn't realize this at first and let the dog in the house (the dog came with the house), until a neighbor told her why the dog came with the house!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:01 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Mothballs or sulfur.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 5:58 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• You can put sulfur around your house
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 5:59 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I am not a city girl but I am petrified of them. I have no clue on how to keep them away
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 6:13 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Snake away and moth balls seems to work for me. I asked the workers at Home Depot and they suggested those. Hope this help.
    scmedicalasst

Answer by scmedicalasst at 8:50 PM on Feb. 20, 2011