At what age did you let your ds go to the men's public bathroom alone?

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 5:24 AM on Feb. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• around 5
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 5:25 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My son is 8 and I still struggle with this. He's getting to be too old to be taken into the woman's restroom with me. It makes him uncomfortable to be in there - yes, I will do it if it's the best option, but we do seek alternative solutions first. If there are "family" restrooms available we use those. If the men's bathroom is of limited stalls, he will go in on his own. Of course he also knows I'm coming in if he's taking too long. :) If it's a large place and I'm not comfortable with him going off on his own, then he, like it or not, gets dragged off with me. I will let him use the restroom at, say, the restaurant we were at last week. The bathroom had two stalls and I could see as he opened the door to go in there was no one else inside at the time. I stood at the door and waited for him to come out. I will not let him go into the mens' room at the movie theater alone. It's not the best spot for a kid that age to be alone
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 6:46 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My boys are 5 and 7, and depending on where we are I will let them go into the men's room on their own. I had a panic moment last week, when I let my 7 year old into the men's room at the county fair. I didn't know there were two doors, and when my son was taking too long, and I called in for him he didn't answer. I barged, on a couple guys, and freaked out when he wasn't in there, nor was he outside either of the doors. Luckily it was his uncle who had taken him. He thought my son had just followed him in, and didn't realize I was in the hall waiting. I was very close to full blown panic, when I called my husband and he said my son was with them.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 7:02 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I just let my four year old go into the bathroom for the first time alone- we were at McDonald's where a friend of mine works and they only have two stalls. He went in and did just fine on his own- although he has problems locking the stalls. I'll probably wait 6 months to a year before I let him go in alone everywhere.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:25 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My son was very tiny at 8. He was still wearing toddler clothes and didn't look his age. By the time during 4th grade I let him go to some public bathrooms. If it was a new place and I wasn't sure of the bathroom he would come with me in the ladies room. You have to feel comfortable in the end.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:45 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• honestly my son is 9 and i still struggle with this because of the public ness of mens restrooms......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 8:55 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I don't have boys but I let my 6 and 8 year old girls into the women's bathroom on their own. I usually don't have to go with them and really hate public restrooms so I just sit outside and let them do their thing.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:59 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Not sure yet.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 11:04 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I think he was about 6 when he started using them alone in familiar places and was about 8 when I allowed it just about everywhere. He's 9 now and I haven't even thought about it recently. When he has to go I tell him to go find the bathroom no matter where we are.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:10 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My boys are 9 and 7 and I haven't let them go into public men's bathrooms by themselves! My husband is usually with us when we're out and about at public places, so he goes in with them, but we look for family/unisex bathrooms, or I simply take them with me into a larger handicapped stall. I really don't see what the big deal is over taking boys in to women's BATHROOMS...women all have their own stalls--it's not like they're walking around naked! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:05 PM on Feb. 20, 2011