Wanted:Name Brands-Best, inexpensive conditioner; Best, inexpensive face cream; Best, inexpensive mineral make-up; Best, inexpensive, all-purpose cleaner; Any other Best, inexpensive products you want to share. Please Bump when you enter so that it stays near the top.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 7:37 AM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• I see a lot of toxic recommendations. You can check the safety of body care products / ingredients here:  http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

This Is what  we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non-toxic. 

1/4 cup white vinegar

3/4 cup warm tap water

1 tablespoon baking soda

10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)

2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (optional) (antiseptic and smells nice)

For extra scrubbing, I make a paste with salt, baking soda and vinegar.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Best conditioner: Dove (A little goes a long way so it lasts)
    Best Face cream: Oil of Olay daily moisturizer. $5.89 @ Walmart One jar lasts forever.
    Best Mineral makeup: Dont use it, so cant say
    Best all purpose cleaner: For everyday use I buy the Family Dollar Store generic brand. It's purple in color, & costs $1.50 a 32oz bottle. It isnt meant for big cleaning jobs however. I use it to clean my stove, mirrors, counter top, bathroom vanity, fingerprints on walls etc.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 8:32 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• best conditioner : suave
    best face cream: olive oil (i know sounds strange but it works)
    best mineral makeup: cover girl makes one ( you can get it at walmart)
    best cleaner: vinager and water
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:10 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Mineral Makeup: The diy kit from TKBtrading.com. Seems like a lot of money upfront, but you get enough minerals for 2-3yrs worth of foundation. Twenty bucks will get you a kit with enough stuff that you'll have eyeshadow for life.
    Facial Cleanser: Olive oil and castor oil blend. About five bucks and I get at least a year's worth of cleanser.
    Facial primer for under makeup: Monistat Anti-chaffing gel. It's *exactly* the same formulation as a $30/bottle primer, but the Monistat is $5.
    General purpose cleanser: Vinegar and water. Cleans and disinfects just about everything. If Vinegar won't do the trick a paste of baking soda and water usually will. Both are a fraction of the cost of manufactured cleansers.
    Deep conditioners: Olive oil or egg.
    Anti-wrinkle/dark circle cream: Preperation H.
    Anti-oil skin prep(before makeup): Milk of Magnesia
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 10:22 AM on Feb. 20, 2011