WHAT JOB DO I CHOOSE???

I'm a nanny for a fam of 3. (8,4,&1) I met this family through the daycare where I took care of the youngest child as a infant. I love the parents of the family. I absolutly adore the youngest child, the 4 yr old and I get along most of the time, and I just dont see eye to eye with the 8 yr old. I recently had a interview with another family from the same daycare who just gave birth to their 2nd baby 6 weeks ago and would like me to start in a month. This job excites me because I love both children and just the thought of caring for a inf again makes me = ) The new family isnt as flexible with their hours and wants me to work longer hours for the same amount as my current job. I dont know if I should go with the job where I can be happy with the children im with, or the job with the family that caters to my schedule. ( my schedule isn't really a big thing, but im young and sometimes need earlier days to hang out, babysit, or doctors appts) WHICH JOB DO I CHOOSE????

Kosto1120

Asked by Kosto1120 at 2:13 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in General Parenting

• hmmm that's a pretty tough decision will they both pay the same? if not go with the one that pays more, and if so go with the one that has a flexible schedule with you, you never know what might come up that you'll need a day off, and some that isn't willing to work with that can be difficult. if it was me that's what i'd do.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 3:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• It would be important to consider the impact on the emotional health & personality development of the 3 you care for. If you only care for them 2 days a week, or mostly at night when they’re asleep, then you’re not central to their world and abandoning them may not leave a hole. A psychiatrist assigned to counsel dangerously deranged inmates discovered that having someone who is central to a child's world leave them before the age of 3/4 damages their ability to trust/share affection for the rest of their lives; they can’t actually CARE about anyone - they don't know how! If this happens to them after the age of four, it creates inner neuroses. When the ground opens up under a child’s feet, it damages the part of the personality developing then. Seriously,google Dr. Elliott Barker and his Natural Child Project; read his article The Critical Importance of Mothering; go to Empathic Parenting website. These spots can give you an idea of what is at stake. ... Be
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 8:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2008