Is 4 years old to young for a DS?

My oldest just turned 4 and I want to get him a basic DS with basic games is that to young or is it age appropreiate? What games would you suggest?

Sweetmami07

Asked by Sweetmami07 at 8:47 AM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My in-laws got them for my kids when they were about that age. We used it to keep them occupied on long car trips and in restaurants. They do have age appropriate games for 4 yo's. Game Stop sells used games and you can find lots of games for young kids.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:53 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I think 4 is good. My son is 3 and got an iXL for Christmas. But we plan on upgrading to a DS at 4 or 5.
    SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 8:54 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I would say yes but its up to you.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 8:56 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My three yr old has one. She has dora and diego games. She also has this really cool crayola coloring game which she loves. There is very appropriate games for this age group.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 9:14 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I think its too young, in my opinion. And when thet 6 they want a wii and when they 8 they want an playstation and so on. I wouldnt introduce thoes things a in such an early age. But thats just me.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 9:32 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• It depends upon how responsible your son is. I wouldn't get my 4 year old one, but that's because she's not that responsible with her leapster. I'm constantly on her about putting it and the games back in the case. There are days when she leaves it laying on the couch, or wherever, then comes to me wanting me to help her look for it. I can't tell you how many times I've sat on it, because it got lost amongst the couch pillows. She lost it for a few months, because she stuck it somewhere and didn't remember where she put it. Plus she's always dropping it. (thank goodness it's sturdy!) So in her case, no, a DS is not an option right now. If your son is more responsible, I say go for it.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 10:26 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• For us, no, 4 isn't too young for a DS. But we're a video game family, so my son has been playing with my DS since he was 2. (Both his dad and I grew up playing video games, and his dad currently makes them for a living.) In the fall, my husband got me a DSi, so now my son has his own. He only has a couple of games for it: Dora Puppy, Diego Safari Rescue, and Smart Boy's Gameroom. He usually only plays it while we're in the car or if he starts getting too wild in restaurants.

It's up to you though. If you're worried about him getting addicted, then just set limits and rules for when (and how long) he can play with it.
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 1:26 AM on Feb. 21, 2011