Do you think it's rude that i ask people to wash their hands before they hold my infant?

With the holiday's approaching & family gathering's with LOTS of people seeing my son for the first time, is it rude if i ask people to wash their hands before holding him?
I am his mom & my job is too protect him and i feel that it's my duty to ask people to do such.....

MamaInky

Asked by MamaInky at 9:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I absolutely do NOT think it is rude to ask them to do that. That is your child and your God given right to tell them to do that. You do not have to be rude - just imply. Better yet have some hand sanitizer with you. This girl came into my workplace the other day and she had just had twins. She had the neatest thing. Attached to the handles of both car seats was a red tag that read "Please wash your hands before touching mine." That was so smart - effective but not rude and she did not have to say a word. Here is a website offering them:
    http://www.mytinyhands.com/shopping/store.htm
    SuperBamaMom

Answer by SuperBamaMom at 10:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• No it's NOT rude.
    Anonymous

• hell no! people's hands come in contact with so much in a days time.. just whip out the hand sanitizer as soon as they ask.. or offer to hold your baby.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 9:03 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• no it's not rude... but me personally, didn't require people to wash their hands. I'm kind of old school on the idea of actually exposing my kids to germs so they have natural immunities to them... the only anti-bacterial cleaner in my house is for the toilet...
    Anonymous

• nope, it's not rude but for my daughters i made them use the hand sanitizer i got from the hospital.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 9:05 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Nope. Most people do it anyway. Set out an anti-bacterial cleaner nearby and let them use that. Most of my visitors got the hint. :)
    Anonymous

• no, i dont think so. i did with my son. but i think we also have to come to the realization that no matter what happens, germs are gonna spread. they can spread through the air, from your own hands touching something.... germs arent a terrible thing. they help our body get stronger..... but, dont feel bad for asking people to do it. If they say anythign about it, tell them to get over it. its your baby.
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 9:07 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I never had a problem with it actually. I think most people automaticaly did it, but if they didnt, i wasnt bothered by it. my daughter never got sick or had the sniffles. I dont think its rude to ask though. I just never worried about. you are the mom and its your say!
    Anonymous

• just carry a antibacterial lotion that kills 99.9% of germs in contact and tell every person to stick out there hands so u can put it on them before they touch your baby, and dont forget the lysol spray also, theres probably going to be alot of people coughing so dont forget to be spraying it everywhere u go lol.
    Anonymous

• put her a mask that will help too. but dont forget the more conceited we are the more we'll end up getting sick, i know cause of experience:(
    Anonymous