Did your parents give you an example of a good relationship? adult content

If so, how?
If not, what are you doing to avoid repeating their mistakes?

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 9:42 AM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• Yes my parents have been married 31 years and through out that they have both made mistakes but showed me that love honesty and trust make a happy relationship!
    Sweetmami07

Answer by Sweetmami07 at 9:49 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Oh yeah! they gave me a great example, I don't remember my parents ever arguing although I am sure they did, but what I got to see was lots of love and affection.

Answer by older at 9:52 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My parents are still married after nearly 45 years, but I wouldn't say it's a marriage of love and devotion. When we were kids it was a constant argument and I grew up thinking that the only way to communicate was to yell. One of my wedding vows was not to yell! And I've pretty much kept to that. We're a much better example to our kids than my parents were to us. We tell each other we love each other, we hug, we kiss - we honestly love each other. I don't think my parents even like each other, and that's sad. We've been married for 22 years this year - and I'm looking forward to the next 22 and beyond!
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 10:54 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My parents have been married for 55 years and they have fought every day of it! when my sisters and i were small we would sit in our room and listen to them screaming and hollering at each other at the top of their lungs, all day long. WE hated it and none of us is in a volitile relationship now - if anything we are docile when an arguement comes up. Now that my sisters and i are older we just tell them to STOP or we wont invite them over ever again. They stop for a few minutes then my mom tells my dad to stop chewing so fast and it all starts over again. who knows, maybe they like their relationship like this, it is just uncomfortable for the rest of us.

suijuris

Answer by suijuris at 11:10 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Pffft,no!
    They divorced when i was 18 mo old.
    i made sure my husband was a guy I saw myself being with til death do us part

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:47 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• No, mine did not. They got divorced when I was 8 and fought with each other everytime they spoke. What am I doing to change it? I just knew that wasnt what I wanted. I married my best friend, who is a man who treats me as i should be treated and I him.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:47 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Not really. But when they were divorced my Mom never brought dates around us kids. She has been married over 20 yrs now.
    I think I do a lot of forgiveness and letting go of old hurts (try...im not perfect). Compromises. Love is about loving the other person and less about what you get out of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Nope. Theirs is a very volatile relationship. Especially when I was a kid. I'm honestly amazed that they're still together all these years later. Going on 33 years, I believe. Now, they've both mellowed out a lot since my first niece was born (sister and both nieces still live with them). I think they realized that a lot of what they did when sister and I were kids wasn't good, and if they were going to help raise grand kids, they needed to knock it off. But the examples they set for me taught me this: I don't ever want to touch hard drugs, they make you act stupid, and self absorbed. I will be more encouraging and supportive of activities my children might show interest in. And damnit, if my marriage gets to the point of constant, physical fighting, I will get the hell out for the sake of my kids. (I don't think that would ever happen) Sometimes staying together for the sake of the kids is more damaging than divorce.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 10:01 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Yes my Husband told me about his first marriage of 23 years and all the bumps, like she never cooked her dad did she did everything by schedule and days and times, even SEX! she moved all her immediate family in even her father who is still there for their complete 23 year marriage.
    He had enough and left, we met married and I try not to do any of those things I have SEX whenever we want no calender or schedule for anything we do what we want last minute no family members will move it and so far it's working except for the everyday crises.
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 10:28 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My parent's 50th anniversary is approaching, and the advice my dad give to me and my two sisters is to stay away from a married man because he would only sell you dreams, a married man is nothing but a roadblock and trouble. No matter how much he tell you he's leaving his wife, it'll never happen. Of course my sisters and I never got involved with a married man, but it was great having a dad who constantly instilled that in our heads.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 10:28 AM on Feb. 20, 2011