Flank Steak

So, I tried flank steak in a recipe for the first time ever and it was tough as nails! Thought this was supposed to be an inexpensive, quality piece of meat. Any ideas on what went wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I made a Southwestern type marinade last night with London Broil - not the same cut, but you could use it for flank - it was pretty good. We grilled it and for once, everyone was happy.

1/3 cup soy sauce
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    2 medium cloves garlic , pressed through garlic press or minced (about 1 tablespoon)
    1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
    1 tablespoon tomato paste (I used puree - that's what I had)
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 10:44 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• How did you cook it? Flank steak isn't what I would call 'quality'. It's a poor man's cut. It something you marinate and cook hot and fast. Under a broiler or on a super hot grill or griddle. I usually cook it to medium, which only takes 2-3 min per side.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:06 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Sliced very thin in a stir fry; about 2-3 minutes total cooking time.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:23 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• We used to broil it medium rare and slice it very thin. The more well done you cook it the tougher it will be unless done in a crockpot all day.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:57 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• It needs to be either sliced very thin (against the grain) and cooked quickly, marinaded and broiled or grilled not more than very rare, then thinly sliced against the grain, or cooked for a long time. It is a tough cut of meat, it used to be very cheap, but because it is often used in steak fahitas, it isn't anymore.It has to be cooked very carefully.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:58 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Flank steak is much better slow-cooked because it's a tough cut of meat. It also helps if you marinate it ahead of time to help break down the fibers.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:55 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Most cheaper cuts of meat come out great when slow cooked in a braising liquid. Flank steak is one of the exceptions. Marinate a long time, then quickly cook it, either broil or grill. Skirt steak (the diaphragm) could be substituted for flank steak, but it is more expensive but is a bit more tender.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 6:22 AM on Feb. 21, 2011