Child abuse claims by the school!!

Here is the quickest story, I have an ab lounge, my son who is 8 took it upon himself to strap himself to the chair and in the process put a bruise on his cheek. He then reclined himself all the way back and then yelled for me to come and help him up. He went to school and the school called the DHHR for a child abuse claim that I stapped him to the ab lounge and made him stay there. Now my son told his teacher that this is what happened but at the same time he was laughing because he knew he had did it himself. No the less we had to go to meet with DHHR today about this alagation, she said she can not even believe that the school reported something like this because you could tell that he was joking, even though she said the case is closed we are still going to have a record, is there anything that we can do for the school making such a rediculas claim??

determind

Asked by determind at 9:03 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in General Parenting

• nana dont worry they cant do nothing to u guys unless they have propel cause an conduct an investagation i should know been there done that with the same stupid ppl. its not gonna go on ur guys record or anything the only was that can happen is if they called the cops an they came to ur house with dhhr an removed the kids an arrested u guys. the school should have notified u an mark first b4 going any farther with it hit me back sweets
    babygrl9900

Answer by babygrl9900 at 11:26 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• well, I can understand the school's prospective on it... if it was really abuse you can't just stand aside and let it happen. and the school can't know what goes on at your house to know if it was or wasn't so they call in professionals to do the investigation.
    Anonymous

• This just happend to us last week. There was nothing that we could do about any of it. But they notify the school that everthing is OK in the end.. It is upsetting but at the same time, atleast they are looking out for the kids, cause you never know if something is up..They told us that in most cases it is something to look into. So you have to put your self in the schools shoes. But I feel you. I was P%&# that people would think such a thing over something stupid.
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry but I have to laugh because I can just picture an 8 year old boy strapping himself into an ab lounger. That's such a 8 year old boy thing to do. I'd think teachers trained to work with kids that age would know that.

I think the school should have called and talked to you before they called child protective. I'm sure everything will be okay but I'd be very, very upset too.

Hang in there. I'm sending you good vibes.

pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 9:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• No. The school is a mandated reporter. So they have to call. Actually even if your son was laughing while he was telling his story they were still obligated to call. Any child who says anything about being abused they have to report. It is not their job to investigate alligations. If they did investigate then they would be breaking the law. So it is really not about the school calling - it is about the fact that your son made this all happen. He is the one that this whole thing needs to rest on.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:14 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I'm expecting to go through something similar. My 11 yo threw a book at my 10 yo and he has a cut below his eye. He wasn't even mad because he thinks it looks cool. I asked him if anyone asked him what happened and he said yes, but he wouldn't tell them what, even the teacher. I know if I was a teacher, I'd be thinking the worst! So, I'm expecting a call or something. Sorry, I know I didn't answer your question. Just thought I'd share! :) I know people hate the "boys will be boys" saying, but can you see a little girl doing something like this? Nope, not usually.... just boys!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:08 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I try to head these things off at the pass....If my kids get a wound, I either call or email the school and explain what happened. I have never had a problem.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• No, the school has an obligation to the child and the state. They have no obligation to you. Hopefully it will be sorted out.
    Anonymous

• If the allegations where found to be baseless then I would not rest until your "record was expunged! You should not have a record if they chose not to make a big deal out of it...that is just wrong.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2008