Do public unions force the tax payer to actually support the democrat party?

The tax payer must support the public employees and the public employees pay union dues and a large part of the union dues are used to fund the democrat party. Then when the democrats control the state and federal offices the union is essentially sitting on both sides of the bargaining table. All at the expense of the tax payer. That is why FDR was against public unions.

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 10:18 AM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• You know, I'm reading this "controversial" bill- it DOESN'T get rid of collective bargaining. It DOES get rid of unions forcefully removing dues from people's paychecks. It doesn't allow collective bargaining for raises unless the wage is below the Consumer Price Index. It's VERY reasonable.

Or, they can lay off 10-20,000 people. hmm. Take a ten percent pay "cut"-or possibly lose your job altogether. I hope if they go with the latter, they fire the teachers that had a "sick out" first.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:32 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• OMG!! YES!! I can't tell you how many campaign mailers I received leading up to the 2010 midterms and governor's race here in PA FROM the NEA!! If I had a nickle for every piece, I could have retired by now!! UGH! There were handy little perforated cards I could take to the polls--in case I forgot how to vote DEMOCRAT, there were DOZENS of personal (not robot) phone calls "suggesting" I vote for the Democrats (yeah, they didn't like it much when I told I would not be!), and there were all kinds of fliers, booklets/leaflets!

I told them being a tax payer, AND supporting the Democrats was hypocritical!! They really didn't know what to do with me on the phone!! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:32 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• It DOES get rid of unions forcefully removing dues from people's paychecks. It doesn't allow collective bargaining for raises unless the wage is below the Consumer Price Index. It's VERY reasonable.

***
    And I would LOVE it if this bill passes in WI, and then comes to PA, as I would LOVE to keep the dues I'm forced to pay, and drop out of the teacher's union!! (crosses fingers and toes) :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:33 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Oh, and yes. This is a large part of why the Democratic Party MUST support the unions. It's like legal money laundering.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:36 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Yes it does. This is the single main reason I am not a member of the NEA or the NCAE. They take member dues and give it to democratic candidates and then say the members of the union back the candidate. I would pay dues for the union benefits and not to be in the political arena. I rarely back a democrat, but they would say that I do. (I was even told by my school's representative that if I joined, I had to switch parties.) No thank you. I think it is the hugest misappropriation of funds there is, and they get away with it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:41 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• The money that you give the unions are not for buying politician. That is what makes them dangerous. Obama is way too close with them, this is why we have the Constitution. Our father know how man will do anything for money and power!

gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:52 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• (I was even told by my school's representative that if I joined, I had to switch parties.)

Seriously??? That is NOT right. Would they then demand to see that you switched parties?

Although....Himmmm....if they were counting on registered dems to see how close an election would be, and a lot of the dems voted repub....hehehe
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 10:54 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I know the company my husband works for (he's management) has a union. A couple years ago their union was taken over by the Teamsters. He told me around election time that the union was actually telling the members who to vote for. That's just flat-out wrong. Good thing we have a secret ballot. Then again, since the union wants to take secret ballots out of union organizing, how long before they'd want to take that away in public elections?
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 11:00 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I am at a little bit of loss here. How does ANYBODY know, when you cast your ballot, who you voted for???? You can not be fired for voting for the candidate of your choice. The union can support whoever it wants to. That doesn't mean you have to also. You are just a paying member so you are able to receive the benefits afforded you by the union. The union leaders can ask you to vote for their candidate of choice, but the ultimate decision is yours. Yes, Obama went after the union vote, but, if you have been paying attention the last 2 years he has not backed them. He made them promises just like he did the American people.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 11:09 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• foreverb, please read the question and try to follow.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Feb. 20, 2011