Vaccinations.......

I was wondering, if you are the person to vaccinate your pets from rabies, parvo and distemper because you know that by doing so it is a preventative measure for their safety. But you won't do the same for your kids because you find them (vax)irrelevant???? I know that a pet is part of a family just not on the same level as a child..... So, explain that to me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Pets

• wow, there are really people that protect their pets from deadly illnesses but refuse to do the same for their children? That seems totally hypocritical to me... almost as if they are saying their pets are more important than their children...
    Anonymous

• neither my pets nor my kids and myself get vaccinated. 2 of my cats got a few vaccs but only because he was getting fixed and the vet would only neuter them if they got a few shots. One of the kittins(they were brothers) died shortly after the shots(not even 2 years old yet). He may of had an allergic reation that I didnt notice until it was too late(6 months after my beloved dog died,14 years old, also not vaccinated.2 weeks b4 xmas....part of the reason i hate the holidays). I am not blaming the vaccs but i am not taking the chance of losing another pet. I have heard thousands of stories of pets dying from a Vacc.
    Anonymous

• Lol, I do the opposite. My kids have their shots, but we don't vaccinate the dog. She is not exposed to anything and is allergic to some things so we figured it would be better not to.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:09 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I DONT vaccinate my children or pets.
    Anonymous

• wow..there are SOOO many things a dog is exposed to. even if they stay in your own back yard.. a fly can land on dog poo that has parvo then go fly to another yard and pass the disease on that way and then your dogs exposed..and your kids? that's just crazy. there are wayy to many things going around for our children NOT to have them.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:45 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I dont know where everyone else is from BUt where i live.. say your dog or cat get out and animal contol get a hold of him.... Before we can claim our dog or cat we need to show vet records and shot records. If your animal isnt up to date your fined and you have to pay for the vacs. If you dont you relinquish your rights to your animal. I do vac both my kids and pets. What i would like to know (for those that dont vaccinate you kids) is do your children go to school? Cuz unless you have you shots you cant o to the schools around here. Ive always been curious.
    itsokmomshere

Answer by itsokmomshere at 10:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• You people out there that don't vaccinate your children or your pets are gamblers with your most prised possessions.

Anonymous

• cats and dogs who arent vaccinated are at risk for rabies (which can be spread to humans btw) and other deadly diseases (distemper is one) that are NOT curable. They will die. but hey, what's the big deal right? you can just go get another one...too bad this logic doesnt apply to kids. they die of a disease that they could have been vaccinated against and that's that.
    Anonymous

• Many people don't vaccinate their children because of the rumors that it can cause Autism. My dog has to be vaccinated to be boarded, attend daycare, and to even live with us. My son, once he is born, will also be vaccinated. For a child to be admitted into daycare he/she has to have vaccinations.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 10:44 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Many of us who don't vaccinate our children have reached that decision through years of research, blood, sweat and tears. Vaccinating is a personal choice that a mother has to make and condemning a mother for that choice is just stupid.

Now to answer the question...while we do not vaccinate, we selectively vaccinate our dogs. Unfortunately certain shots are required here for our dogs to be legal in the city, and secondly as someone else mentioned, I think it would be fair to say that our pets are exposed to many things that our children aren't exposed to. I do rescue and sometimes I have very sick foster dogs in and out of my home; I have to have my other dogs protected.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 7:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2008