Welfare, food stamps, section 8 galore!

Who else besides me think these should truly be transitional assistance. I have seen people on these types of assistance for years! I am not knocking anyone on any type of aid especially during hard times but when should it stop! Shouldnt there be a limit?

I went to school with a girl who has 2 kids on full public assistance. She quit her job in order to keep her section 8 and food stamps. Shouldnt the system mandate a 'rule' that you must look for work and get a job within a certain period of time. It isnt that bad out there that people can not find a job after 10+years in the system. The system is built to be abused and people see that and take advantage of it. Why arent purchases regulated?

I live in a rented condo and there are some people that are able to rent the same space as me for nothing and I do not think that is fair. Why would these people want to work? They get food, cash, nice apartment in a system that will continue to give as long as they do not have a job even if its over 10 years? I am strictly talking about people that abuse the system not the ones really working to make ends meet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with you!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:58 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• There is already welfare reform. In my state you cannot get tanf (financial cash aid) for more then I think it is 5 yrs. Even IF you have to get it for those 5 yrs the rules are so strict. You have to look for work. They actually come get you and take you to look for a job. If you dont find one within so many days they assign you like to Goodwill and take part of the check to pay back the state (mostly if you get assistance for rent etc).
    As for foodstamps and medicaid no. I dont have any problem with low income families getting aid in these things for as long as they NEED it. Food prices are really high right now and someone making lets say $10 an hour with a family will still need some help with groceries for their children. Medicaid, sorta the same thing. It depends on what they earn and whats available at their work. I think the kids need to have it no matter what. Adults, no.

Answer by gemgem at 11:00 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• gemgem I understand the families that are working and getting aid such as food and medicaid but not the families that do not work at all! no pity
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:02 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I totally agree with you. I used to work out in the community and I know a lot of people like this. I know one woman who lives with her boyfriend who makes good money. The boyfriend's legal address is with a friend down the street. They will not get married because if they do, she will lose her welfare benefits. So, they live in a house where they barely pay rent, get food paid for by food stamps, get help for electricty with the county yet they have brand new cars, new TV's all the video game consoles and $100 sneakers. This has been going on for at least 7 years (which is how long I've known her). She refuses to go to work because "Why would I want to work? If I went to work or if we got married, I wouldn't be able to have all I have." AND that is an EXACT quote.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:08 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• These funds no longer fill a gap. They are a way of life. The system is so skewed that if you try to work and let the PA actually fill the gap you are dropped. It is a way for the progressives to hold you down and keep you voting them in. It is oppression and called charity.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:10 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I get a 'little' food stamps and Section 8 and there is NO WAY I can better myself ever. I am disabled and it will only get worse for me when the child supports ends in a few years.Social Security screwed me over and I don't even get Social Security,I get SSI.But that is another story.I worked my butt off for decades and did not even get Soc. Security disability.If I did not get assistance street.
    natrlvr2

Answer by natrlvr2 at 11:11 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I guess my frame of mind and my thinking is different from these people because being on welfare and public assistance will make me WANT to work and be self sufficient.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• ~*AGREE*~... should be "transitional", and must prove you are at least trying to get ahaead instead of just taking soemthing you've not earned?

Unfortunately most people I encounter abuse the system because it is set up for them to be able to do so!!! I fully back those that are getting job training, education, something to get ahead and realize it won't always be there for them to use... it should be a hand up not a hand out!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:16 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• transitional- lol.
    The transition I see is teens & early 20's transitioning into motherhood bc they know the govt is going to take care of EVERYTHING. Kids are cheap when your only expense is diapers & most times even those are covered. I went to hs with girls who have 4 yr olds- still live at home-work at walmart- on public with no education- making MORE babies. I think if your under 40 & getting govt $ you should HAVE to attend school @ least part time to keep getting benefits.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:21 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• In my situation I am a single mom to 2 special needs kiddo's granted my oldest is now 18 BUT I am their ONLY caregiver, and he needs more attention and besides if I have to leave to go to the school for the younger one NO employer is going to put up with that for very long. But I do agree people who DON"T have that type situation needs to work, trust me sometimes I wish I could get a job just to have a small break from the kiddos.
    butterflymeme

Answer by butterflymeme at 11:37 AM on Feb. 20, 2011