Spin off of my other spin off...

If all the kids will be able to have breakfast and lunch without the school free lunch program, why is the program still in existence?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 10:59 AM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Very good question!
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 11:01 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• It started out by the gov't to get in the education business with the 'free milk' program. If you want their money, then you have to follow their rules. Education isn't even in the US Constitution. Education is left to the states. The only way for the federal gov't to get its hands into educaiton was to tie it to funds. It is known as the 'power of the purse'. He who holds the purse strings holds the power. It started with milk and now we can't feed our children without the help of gov't. There is so much graft in this program. Plus, the addition of reading teachers is tied to Title I funds. I guess people who don't need free and reduced lunch can always read. This is how we let the gov't in education where they didn't belong. They bought us. 

http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/lunch/AboutLunch/ProgramHistory.htm

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:07 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Do you mean with or without?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I mean without, Anon. In at least two other questions, people on both sides of the line have maintained that children will NOT be missing meals because of the school closings in Wisconsin.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 11:11 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• @ Lovin!!

bowing down

However, I have a feeling this thread will remain quiet.  :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:15 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I haven't seen the other questions so not sure if I'm getting idea, but if the kids are being provided breakfast and lunch it would be with the free lunch program.

As for the program not being needed and assumming the school itself paid for the meals, there is quite a difference in paying for a small fractions of breakfasts and lunches for a few days than for providing them to all who qualify each day.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:04 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I haven't seen the other questions so not sure if I'm getting idea, but if the kids are being provided breakfast and lunch it would be with the free lunch program

_________________

I mean WITHOUT.

In the other questions, it was brought up that the teachers who were having a sick out were being inconsiderate of the kids who needed their free breakfasts and lunches.

people on both sides of the line said those kids WOULD NOT GO HUNGRY. So therefore, they are receiving both breakfast and lunch WITHOUT ACCESS TO THE FREE LUNCH PROGRAM.

By that logic, the program is unnecessary.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• uh how are they not missing meals if the only meal they get during the day is free breakfast and lunch??? And if they are stuck at home they probably wont get either if there parents are extremely poor.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:22 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• uh how are they not missing meals if the only meal they get during the day is free breakfast and lunch???

That's the question some people don't seem to want to answer, no matter how many times it's presented to them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:05 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• When I see what the school is serving for breakfast and lunch..calling it healthy and charging the paying kids $2.65 for the lunch I wonder why they don't do away with it. The junk I see in the kids lunchboxes is healthier than the crap coming from the cafeteria. Corn dogs, chicken nuggets..pizza with fake cheese..Uncrustable pb&j's...ravioli...hot dogs.

I may soundf harsh and I don't mean too....I have no problem with people...especially children receiving help when they need it. I just think these programs are part of the problem. We were really poor when I was a kid, but Mom never had us on free breakfast/lunch. She made us a good breakfast at home and packed us a good lunch. We often had oatmeal for breakfast...not the add water and eat kind...the good and hearty kind. This is better for kids than the boxed cereal or sausage biscuit served by the school and is 2 or 3 dollars for a big container too much $$?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:34 PM on Feb. 20, 2011