What are your honest opinions about women who have aborted?

Do you think they are terrible people?
Do you think they should be allowed to have subsequent children?
Do you think they all knew exactly what they were "getting into" when they aborted?
Do you think they are all selfish?
OR...
Do you have compassion and understanding for those who are very regretful and/or didn't know what they would face as a result of the abortion(s)?

Luvmylilmonkies

Asked by Luvmylilmonkies at 2:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in About CafeMom

• I can't judge anyone for the decisions that they make. Abortion makes me sad because I know that so many people that make that choice, end up regretting it. It's sad that there are people in this world that are completely deserving of children that can't have them...and they could have adopted these poor aborted babies. I think it's a terribly selfish act.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I can't judge the person, but I personally don't agree with the act of aborting a child.
    Anonymous

• I think it is a personal choice made by the individual making that decision. Every time it is different. no one can say they understand until they are given that exact circumstance. and Every aspect of the life has to be taken into account. Speaking from Experience. I WILL never Judge another person with this or any other choice they make. It is not my place nor is it any other humans to do so.
    klangert

Answer by klangert at 2:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I think that there are some circumstances that it is the right thing to do. Ex: My cousin has a girlfriend that is preg. she was doing drugs while preg and has 3 other children that she has lost custody of and is actually sitting in prison right now and will be there for the next 7-8 years. She should have an abortion! I wanted to take the baby and raise it(boy/girl?) but DH said when she gets out she will try to get it back and a judge will grant her visitation at first then eventually give her custody back. I can't get emotionally invested in this child and have it taken away. It would totally crush me...not to mention the fact that my children would grow up with that baby it would be their brother or sister...all of a sudden it is GONE! I just can't do that.
    HAPIMOMOF2

Answer by HAPIMOMOF2 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I think that they made the decision that is best for them & it is none of my business what other women have done. I hope they found a good doctor/clinc that gave them all of the information they needed. Contrary to popular belief, most studies show that the majority of women who abort do not regret their decision, though many do feel some sadness that things couldn't have been different. I don't think it is anyone else's place to say they are terrible people or to feel sorry for them. It is a life decision many women have to make, not being in their shoes you can't make any judgment on which decision they choose.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• i think its wrong but then its ok if your young and you cant support the child or if you get rapped but only if its b4 the fetis is alive wen its jus a cell then its ok
    Anonymous

• Abortion has so much stigma and controversy attached to it that it is never an easy decision for a woman to make. A woman can have many different reasons for chosing to abort, and it is wrong to say that some reasons are legitimate and others are selfish. Late term abortions are inhumane, and therefore illegal. Early term abortions are availible because as women we do have the right to chose what we do with our bodies. It is obvious from the wording of the question where the person who originated this question stands, and maam, that is your right to feel that way. It is harsh to insinuate that a woman who gives up one child could possibly not deserve children in the future though. A decision to abort is usually based on circumstances, but circumstances change. A woman who is not ready to have a baby at one point does not forfit her right to be a mother in the future.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 4:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I don't agree with it, but people make mistakes, some mistakes you will live with the rest of your life..I believe it is selfish the child isn't choosing to be born! And many people think they have the right to decide that that child won't get a chance because it's NOT GOOD TIMING FOR THEIR LIFE OR THEIR SITUATION! well I have news, there is also the choice to have unprotected sex or not! and people do it anyway and then act like life is disposible it's not right!
    Anonymous

• I think everyone has their own reasons for what they do, and it's easy for someone on the outside to judge and say "I would never do that", but no one can be 100% sure until they're in the same position. Sometimes you get pregnant when you don't want to, or sometimes you get pregnant young and your parents make decisions for you. There is a never ending list of reasons why people abort, and it's no one's business but the ones involved. I don't feel sorry for those who have aborted because it was their decision. I feel for those who's parents made the decision for them. I DO NOT think anyone who has had an abortion is a bad person. They did what they felt was right for them, and thats none of my business.
    Fala

Answer by Fala at 7:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Danielle720*~* Actually, I had an abortion 7 yrs ago and I deeply regret it. My question is based on the nasty things that women have said to me... most times before even knowing my story. They just see that I'm a post-abortive woman and they start making assumptions and judgements about me.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 8:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2008