I have a 4 month old and the only way he will sleep at night is if hes in my bed with me. how should i start getting him used to his crib??

jwe2010

Asked by jwe2010 at 11:29 AM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it will be a pain in the but , but let him cry it out..
    spitfire06

Answer by spitfire06 at 11:32 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Does he sleep in his crib during the day? Definitely need a routine, even at this age. I always laid mine down awake, but different things work for different families. There are some people that cosleep for years and that works for them, but if it's not working for you don't let anyone guilt you into it. When mine were that young I would change diaper/pjs, breastfeed, read them a book (even this young it's good for them), sing a song or two (songs that I sang only at nap/bedtime so they could tell a difference) and then lay them in their crib. But I watched them and knew around what time they got sleepy - they were on a schedule but I built it by watching them.

Answer by missanc at 11:37 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I gradually pushed him out the door in his bassinet or crib. I started by his bed right by me then every night i would push it father from me and then a few weeks later he was in his room by himself and no crying.

kalynskorner

Answer by kalynskorner at 11:53 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• during the day he sleeps on my bed but hes okay for like 2 hours by himself but as soon as i put him in the crib he will sleep maybe 30mins then wake up.
    jwe2010

Comment by jwe2010 (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• It is up to you and your baby . . . .there is no one solution that fits everyone. One of my babies was very colicky, active, and difficult to soothe . . . .the only was she would sleep when I was next to her. So, we coslept. By the time she was 2 1/2, she was completely in her own room, own, bed, happily . . . we didn't have to push anything. My son, though, slept in the crib a lot, but now that he is 2, he wants to co-sleep more. I am having to train him to be okay in his own room. All in all, though, I wouldn't change a thing. It is important for both you and your baby to get sleep, and if the solution is to sleep together for a while, well, so be it. (Some cultures standardly co-sleep for years). Missanc is right, though . . . don't let anyone force opinions on you .. . everyone has different needs and solutions . ... including baby.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:56 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My kids slept great during the day but were horrible sleepers at night. I started putting him in his bed for nap times to get him used to sleeping in his bed. Of course this alone did not work. What I also did was i had him fall asleep with me and then I waited about 5 min and then laid him in his bed. I am not the type that can let my baby cry him self back to sleep. It took a while but he did sleep longer and longer each night on his own. It wasn't until I stopped breastfeeding that he slep all night long. What ever you decided to do be strong and consistant and it will work.

Good luck.
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 4:11 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• i honestly don't know, but good luck and try as hard as you can because my almost two year old still sleeps with me most nights (we've recently gotten to where she'll fall asleep watching yo gabba gabba on the couch and wake up to come to my bed around 5 or so). and she's a bed hog
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 5:37 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• i know it's gonna break your heart but do not put him in your bed anymore... not for naps nothing. Try putting his crib in your room and see if that makes the transition easier.
    lashes325

Answer by lashes325 at 10:47 AM on Feb. 21, 2011