What Receipes are good to freeze for cooking another day?

I would like to start preparing foods and freezing them for cooking and serving another day. Do you have any good ideas?

kalynskorner

Asked by kalynskorner at 11:37 AM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Burrito Pie
    2 lb. ground beef
    1 onion, chopped
    2 t. minced garlic
    1 (2 oz.) can black olives, sliced
    1 (4 oz.) can diced green chile peppers (I omit these)
    1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers (I omit these)
    1 (16 oz.) jar taco sauce
    2 (16 oz.) cans refried beans
    12 (8 inch) flour tortillas
    9 oz. shredded cheese
    1 packet of taco seasoning
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Saute ground beef for 5 minutes then add the onion and garlic and saute 5 minutes more. Drain excess fat. Mix in the olives, green chile peppers, tomatoes with green chile peppers, taco seasoning and taco sauce. Stir mixture thoroughly. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:52 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Chili, Chicken and Rice soup, Lasagna =)
    elenalee

Answer by elenalee at 11:43 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I like to cook once, eat twice, so I double recipes and freeze half. I buy large cuts when they're on sale, like ham, turkey, pork or beef roasts. Bake, then slice up and package in portion size meals for later. Stir frys, fried rice, hot sandwiches (just add canned gravy), add to noodles or rice and a can of cream of mushroom or chicken soup and bake till heated through. Most casseroles will freeze well. Baked ziti or lasagna is great for this. Spaghetti sauce, too.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:46 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I bake a whole chicken and divide it into 4 meals. So even when I don't feel like cooking, I always have shredded chicken to make, chicken and noodles, stir fry, casseroles, BBQ chicken sandwiches. If I make meatballs, I make a triple batch for spaghetti and meatballs, meatball subs, meatball soup.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 11:49 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• You can make pizza crusts and bake them about half the usual time (6 minutes approx) untopped, then top them and freeze them and stack them in a Ziplock bag with wax paper between them. Then you can just take them from the freezer and bake them in a 425 oven for 12-15 minutes. Very convenient.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:49 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• continued:
    Spray non-stick spray on casserole dish. Layer tortilla, add meat and then cheese. Spread next tortilla layer with refried beans and top the meat and cheese Then add another layer of meat and cheese and once again top with a tortilla spread with refried beans Repeat layers and finally top with more cheese. At this point you can freezer your burrito pie and save it for later.or Bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 or until cheese is slightly brown and bubbly. If frozen, thaw first and then bake as directed. Serve with sour cream, lettuce, additional salsa, etc. if desired.This will make a 9 x 13 inch pan. I usually do it in two smaller pans and freeze one.
    SweetLuci

• Hamburger-Potato Casserole

4 to 5 small to medium potatoes, peeled, and sliced thin
    1 pound ground beef, browned with onion flakes, salt, and pepper
    1 can cream of mushroom soup mixed with 1/2 can of water
    1 pound mild cheddar cheese, sliced or shredded
    Preheat oven to 350°. In a 9x13-inch dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, layer the potatoes, then the ground beef, then mushroom soup mixture, then top with the cheese. Cover and bake for one hour This freezes well.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:53 AM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Google "Once A Month Cooking" (OAMC) or "freezer cooking" and you will get tons of links to website dedicated to doing OAMC, as well as links to recipes & cookbooks. I regularly do OAMC, everything from breakfasts to desserts, so there's always a homemade meal available for us to eat, even when nobody's been home all day to prepare it. It's especially nice during the summer months when we're busy doing other things outside.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:11 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• pancakes!!!:)
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 2:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Things like pot roast and lasagna are great because they freeze well and taste almost the same thawed. i prefer pot roast because you can throw it in the crockpot with some potatoes, carrots, and seasonings, forget about it, and have a few healthy meals later!
    pagwife55

Answer by pagwife55 at 11:55 AM on Feb. 20, 2011