Dressing herself is a big deal?

my DD who goes to daycare dresses herself in the morning (she's 3)
well, i received a letter from her teacher saying how she isn't wearing the 'right' clothing for play time. (she w0re a dress with leggings, and sneakers that day) and if she continues to dress like that, she will again sit out during free play. they said her clothing is dangerous for playing. like WTF. A dress is dangerous to play in?
how should i respond to that? should i ask for a confrence? ugh. i hate this day care.
i don't want to pull her out since this is her last year there (she's going to preschool next year somewhere esle) and she has made a lot of friends.
ugh.
help?

sunshinehippie

Asked by sunshinehippie at 12:06 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would have a conference so you can see & try and understand where the care providers are coming from I myself have no clue why a dress would be considered dangerous to play in

ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 12:08 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Well, ok then. I guess I could see how many a dress could get caught on something. That being said, I've never heard of a day care sending a note home about it. My nieces wore dresses and tights to daycare all the time. They may (that's a big MAY) have been asked not to play on a certain things but it was never a big idea.
    SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Dresses are usually not for playing outdoors I guess. Maybe when they are running another child might pull on her dress to grab her.. I dont know.. You should ask the teacher her reasons for saying it is dangerous. If her reasoning is valid then you should follow the rules and if not then the teacher needs to respect what clothing you put on your child.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 12:11 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• They must have a reason. Why do you hate them? Because they are informing you of a problem and asking for your help in correcting it for your child. You do not need to take offense to this. Try to work through the problem and find out what you can do to help prevent it from happening again.
    Your daughter needs to see you working with the rules. That is how she learns to follow the rules of her school.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:12 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• What about when all little Girls wore were dresses? I think this G bull and would fight it. Ugh the nerve
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 12:19 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• *Is bull
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 12:20 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Ridiculous. I have 3 girls and all went through their dress phase and I can't see how a dress could be dangerous or hard to play in . My girls never had a problem playing in them. And my older 2 girls wore jumpers to school (uniforms) for years. My 8yo was in kindergarten at that school and they had tons of free play time and recess on a small playground...all done in a skirt (with either tights or shorts under it). In the 10 years I've had girls I have yet to see anyone get hurt from wearing a dress.
    I would demand a plausible explanation for their concern.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:17 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• What happened to freedom of dressing? I say talk to that teacher and tell her that your daughter has played in those types of clothing without being 'dangerously' hurt. If she still resists, ask her how the other girls dress, and then tell her you think they dress the same way
    mannyperry

Answer by mannyperry at 1:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Are you kidding me??!!! I am a preschool teacher, and there is NO WAY I would make a child sit out during free play. That is messed up.Letting your child dress themselves is so great, good for you! I would try to find the person in charge of that teacher, and talk about it with them. That is not right, unfair to your child.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 2:07 PM on Feb. 20, 2011