Should I feel guilty?(Breastfeeding problem)

I gave birth to my son in Nov. and I was breastfeeding him having a little trouble with his latching on but I was doing it the end of December I was having REALLY bad stomach pains and ended up in the hospital. I had gallstones and had to have a procedure and a surgery done. I was in the hospital for a week and I was pumping and dumping. While my son was getting formula at my mom's place. So after I got released I went back to breast feeding. Well 3 days later I got an infection and got on medications so I had to stop breastfeeding for 3 weeks. I tried to breastfeed afterwards just to have him not wanna breastfeed at all! He refuses to latch on! Now I am trying to pump but my supply is so low I have to give him formula mostly. I really feel like I failed him and I don't know what to do.

momavanessa

Asked by momavanessa at 12:18 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I felt the same way. I was only able to bf my son for about 2mos. He never got the hang of latching on and I always had to use the nipple shield so the sensation wasn't the same and my milk supply diminished. I tried pumping and that only made my nipples bleed so bad I couldn't give him my breast milk.It was awful and I too felt so down on myself when I had to give him formula instead. I think that you have been doing the right thing and I understand how you feel horrible but you have done the best for your baby! Hope this helps.
    saramitc1

Answer by saramitc1 at 12:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Oh, no . . . you haven't failed him at all. The most important thing for a child's development is to have their primary caregiver, and you have ensured that you will be able to continue being a good mommy by taking care of yourself.
    Some babies like the bottle because the milk comes out faster, and they can get it from anyone . . . yum.yum. If you want to, you can continue to offer the breast, as well, and baby will decide how he/she wants to eat.
    Whatever happens, don't get on yourself. There are loads of extremely healthy and vibrant kids who haven't had an ounce of breastmilk.
    And remember that some of what you are feeling is hormonal. When we don't have our babies latching on, our hormones start to change, and they can make us feel really really emotionally yucky.
    Hang in there! :)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:28 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I had that problem after I had dd. At least you are trying. I had start off with a nipple shieild for a few minutes(after I got out the hospital from having surgery) then I would ease it off and that got her to latch on. As fao as your milk supply you can eat oatmeal every day, or drink mother's milk . Good Luck! There is a great breastfeeding group on here
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 12:22 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Guilty? No. Angry? Maybe. It's very unlikely that the meds you were given were unsafe for nursing. That's what I'd be pissed about. You CAN get him back to breast, if you want, but it will probably take some work, and he'll probably be frustrated at first. I think nothing bad of you for doing as you were told by a medical professional, I just wish more medical professionals truly knew about meds and nursing. I can't say 100% that the med you were on was safe, but it's very likely that it was safe.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:25 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I think no matter when you stop breastfeeding you feel like your failing, I did it for 3 months and of course now I wish I would of done it longer but doing it even for the amount of time you did benefited him!!
    lovelyheaven271

Answer by lovelyheaven271 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• You HAVE NOT failed him. I sort of went through this very recently. My dd was born Feb 4th and I had to be put back in the hospital for a uterine infection for 5 days. I tried pumping,,,,but was not very good at it.

However, when I got home dd acted like I had never skipped a beat. lol....latched on like a pro. lol

I was really worried it had messed us up too but it did not. But it was nothing I or you did....just the position we were put into.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:54 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• The meds they gave me towards the end to fight my infection had too many side effects I was told and looked them up on the web and it was also stated not to breastfeed while on them.
    momavanessa

Comment by momavanessa (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• If you are still producing milk you could build your supply back up and pump and feed. What you would want to do is slowly convert him back over to breastmilk. You may not get him to latch back on. Babies find bottle feeding more convienent. My babies were convertable. Meaning they will breastfeed or take milk from a bottle. If you try to get him to latch back on take your time and don't get frustrated. I hope it all works out for you!!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 4:06 PM on Feb. 20, 2011