3 yr old and signs of stuttering?

My daughter is 3 and I've noticed that she 'stutters' not full stuttering. She is talking so quick sometimes that the words she is trying to say cant come out. Sometimes she is talking and would just say umm, umm, umm until she can say the word. Its cute but her father stutters and has a bad stutter sometimes not all the times though and he says umm, umm when he stutters. Well I dont want her to stutter as a kid and adult and thinking about speech theraphy but the problem is that she is extremely shy and I know will not talk is she did go to speech theraphy.. any suggestions on what to do? should I leave it alone for now or intervene?

KayGia0704

Asked by KayGia0704 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Stuttering like that is absolutely noraml for a three year old. The thoughts in their head are traveling faster than the words can come out, so they tend to er . .. and repeat . . and stop mid-sentence. That being said, speech therapy is always a plus, for every kid. So, talk to your ped.
    Speech therpaists are usually REALLY good with shy kids. They know how to be really approachable, so don't let that worry you. You will also be in the room, so she does not have to be alone with anyone.
    Just remember not to talk to much or worry too much about it. It is most likely normal. SHe will probably grow out of it. And, you don't want her to have any anxiety surrounding it, because anxiety always makes stuttering worse.

:) Good luck!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:33 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I would get her evaluated for speech therapy just in case!!! It may not be anything to be concerned about, but it won't hurt to check into it.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:00 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• very normal for the age. their brains are working faster than their mouths. a LOT of children go through this. However, it does need work and correction, in a subtle way. I've worked with hundreds of kids, and speech therapists. Just sweetly remind her to "slow down", or you can use the term many speech therapists use "use your turtle talk", to get them to slow down and articulate their speech. Another trick is if you slow down in talking, response an repeating back to her what she's saying, that will naturally cause her to slow down in her speech. I wouldn't draw to much attention to it, since it's not a speech issue, just very subtly work with her. She'll get it:)
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 1:03 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My three year old boy stutters because he's just started to talk, and I bet your daughter is probably going through the same scenario. Dont worry. But if she still stutters at the age of 5, I reccomend a speech therapist
    mannyperry

Answer by mannyperry at 1:14 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My son has a slight stutter (age 4) and a speech delay. The previous posters answers were great. I am always telling Aiden to slow down, try again. He is now in speech therapy once a week. He loves it, it is done through his school so I am not there but I talk with the teacher on the phone. She sends home activities we do at home and I make a game out of it. Good Luck
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 1:17 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• My son went through this a couple of different times. He does not have a problem, I think it is just something some kids go through. Unless it continues over time or worsens, I would just let it go and it will work itself out!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:39 PM on Feb. 21, 2011