What does it feel like?

I am currently 37 1/2 weeks pregnant, and the doctor said that because the baby has already dropped so low, that he is predicting within the next two weeks.

I am wondering what a contraction feels like?

They have me on muscle relaxers because I was having some crazy Braxton-Hicks, and this way, if I feel "contraction" like pain, I will know its true-labor and not the false. I am having like a sharp pain in my lower tummy that sometimes circles around to my back, but only lasts for about 5ish seconds.

What does a contraction feel like, and how long or short can they be? Any advice is much appreciated!

kristina.de

Asked by kristina.de at 12:26 PM on Feb. 20, 2011 in Pregnancy

• They are anywhere from 5-40 seconds. your belly gets rock hard, and it feels like someone is stabbing you from inside and twisting the knife.
    But it feels different for everyone. The pain is usually in your lower abdomen and feel like severe period cramps.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:34 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I describe them as period pain contractions. Of course they get worse as they progress. But when I FIRST started labor it felt just like I was about to start my period. It just got worse.

And your belly does get like a rock. Good luck!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:51 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• I would describe them as period like cramps or really bad diahreah cramps. When mine were the real deal they would last about 45 seconds then 4 min later another one and within a couple hours they were only a minute apart.
    lovelyheaven271

Answer by lovelyheaven271 at 1:10 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Its an awful pain! I know you prob heard it before but you will know for sure its like 50 times worse than braxton hicks. How exciting though!
    Destins_Mommy

Answer by Destins_Mommy at 2:11 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• For me the contractions felt just like the BH contractions just stronger, closer together, lasted 1.5 min from start to end of the contractions. I had a lot more pressure with by labor contractions. The pressure was bad whether I walked, or was sitting. I cried the closer I got to 40 weeks because I wasn't sure if I would read the signs of when the BH turned to real labor. What sent me to the hospital was the pressure. And I had a great dr. when I got there he said you are far enough along and you are in labor lets add some meds to make the contractions stronger and lets have a baby. It is hard to believe when other women said you will know when you are in labor but it is true. Good luck!!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• Well to me they feel like you have a chicken bone caught in your throat. It's hard sharp pains....but its worth it.
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• im having them now and mine are 3-4 minutes apart. and they are strong. oh and im wiping blood too. and im 32 weeks and 6 days pregnant.
    Tricia737

Answer by Tricia737 at 3:57 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• The worst period cramps "down there" EVER...
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 10:20 PM on Feb. 20, 2011

• It feels like period cramps that are the worst ever that just get worse and more frequent. Its not a sharp pain its more an ache.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:33 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I'm so glad you asked because I was just wondering the same thing. I've been experiencing a lot of what was described and it's nice to know I'm not the only one. :)
    MommyMegO2011

Answer by MommyMegO2011 at 6:22 AM on Feb. 21, 2011